• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1976 Model Year Speedometer

eastsidebimmer

Ben,

I don't have a speedometer to sell you. Perhaps you just want a '76-dated unit. But if you're seeking a 49-state '76 speedometer because of its stated gearing, beware! Every 49-state '76 speedo I've seen is marked 1.393. People speak of a 1.39 version but I've not yet seen an example in photos or in person. But the stamped gearing doesn't necessarlly reflect what's inside!

My '76, VIN 2742541, was manufactured April 23, 1976. Its original speedo, dated March '76 and marked 1.393, is shown below. But despite the 1.393 markings -- seemingly appropriate for the car's 3.90 diff -- the unit reads 8%-10% optimistically. It's actually geared like a 1.28 speedo. It's never been apart.

It appears that BMW marked lots of their '76 speedos with 1.393 but sometimes installed the speedo gearing for a 3.64 diff. The problem was publicized with brief write-ups in the September and October '76 Roundel, shown in the second photo below. The cheap BMW fix was to install an overlay with altered mph scale over the existing speedo. I've been looking for one of these overlays for 20 years but have only seen one: in a photo on this forum. With the overlay faceplate, the needle-straight-up position indicates 59 mph, not the common 63 mph. I brought the issue to the attention of my service advisor at that time. He told me not to worry about it as surely they had solved the problem by March '76, when my speedo was manufactured. They hadn't.

In short, buying a speedo out of a 49-state '76 may get you a unit marked 1.393, but it doesn't guarantee the speedo's gearing actually reflects that!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-12387100-1427399533_thumb.j

post-41123-0-48374600-1427399594_thumb.j

post-41123-0-12387100-1427399533_thumb.j

post-41123-0-48374600-1427399594_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you aren't in a rush, I am working on figuring out switching to a GPS or electronic speedo for engine/tranny swap reasons, I am likely not going to convert my current speedo and would want to get rid of it. Could be talked out of shipping it off soon (its out of the car now).

My biggest issue would be that the mounting studs for the cluster are on back of the speedo so I would need to find a busted speedo to cut up (do you have one right now?).

The only other thing is that the odometer is not quite working, it does some turn it just doesn't seem to do it at the right pace, I believe it should be fixable via the FAQ article on here but haven't messed with it.

It is marked W=1.393 for whatever its worth

Mine came from a 76 parts car, to 'match' the e21 LSD..It's spot on, confirmed by gps.

Jason,

Do you happen to know the date, and markings, on the rear of your unit? And is the "needle-straight-up" position -- on the faceplate -- 59 mph or 63 mph? (59 mph would indicate that an overlay is likely in place.)

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

If you aren't in a rush, I am working on figuring out switching to a GPS or electronic speedo for engine/tranny swap reasons, I am likely not going to convert my current speedo and would want to get rid of it. Could be talked out of shipping it off soon (its out of the car now).

My biggest issue would be that the mounting studs for the cluster are on back of the speedo so I would need to find a busted speedo to cut up (do you have one right now?).

The only other thing is that the odometer is not quite working, it does some turn it just doesn't seem to do it at the right pace, I believe it should be fixable via the FAQ article on here but haven't messed with it.

It is marked W=1.393 for whatever its worth

What's the date on the back of your speedo? It's both stamped into the unit, near the "1.393," and inked on with small triangles. I'm trying to figure out if we can determine the probability of a "correct" speedo by its date.

Separately, did you see Post #11 of the following thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/164263-speedometer-options/

Hollywood Speedometer has apparently worked out the GPS approach for mechanical speedo's -- I'm still waiting to hear if that also drives the mechanical odometer and trip odometer.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I don't have any photos of the back, and its been a few years since I installed it now..  But I have this.  The car it came from was a Tii/2002 mashup with a worn out but very well built Tii motor, Kfish/injector rebuild and all.  the drive train swap was very complete.  And even the fuel pump was wired in with the original harness and hung in the right place..  Maybe they went and had the speedo reconditioned at the same time..? 

BD4751DD-A65B-42FC-A2B8-C24504622348.png

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

What's the date on the back of your speedo? It's both stamped into the unit, near the "1.393," and inked on with small triangles. I'm trying to figure out if we can determine the probability of a "correct" speedo by its date.

Separately, did you see Post #11 of the following thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/164263-speedometer-options/

Hollywood Speedometer has apparently worked out the GPS approach for mechanical speedo's -- I'm still waiting to hear if that also drives the mechanical odometer and trip odometer.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

I'll check the date and get back to you tonight, I did see that post and am going to look into having them convert mine, though I'm guessing it will still be out of my price range.

I don't have any photos of the back, and its been a few years since I installed it now..  But I have this.  The car it came from was a Tii/2002 mashup with a worn out but very well built Tii motor, Kfish/injector rebuild and all.  the drive train swap was very complete.  And even the fuel pump was wired in with the original harness and hung in the right place..  Maybe they went and had the speedo reconditioned at the same time..? 

BD4751DD-A65B-42FC-A2B8-C24504622348.png

Thanks, Jason,

Right, it could have been calibrated or...some of the '76 49-state speedo's might have been done right -- which I've pretty much assumed.

Regards,

Steve