• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car value poll Jalopnik

4wheelforay

Good morning all,

This popped up on Jalopnik this morning. If you haven't seen their "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" segment it is pretty self explanatory, but they post a car for sale and the readers vote if it a good value or over priced. 

I just wanted to share because the car has what looks to have rust issues in a few areas and it is still getting voted 80%+ "Nice Price." Anywho, I think it is worth a look, also the comments are a good read. 

http://jalopnik.com/for-8-500-this-1971-bmw-2002-brings-some-neue-klasse-1693796489#

-Robert

1969 2002 to be S14 powered

Vision without execution is just hallucination - Thomas Edison 

Nice looking car. Rear wheel housings / shock towers look to have been patched. That would be a red flag to hunt for more rust / rust repairs in around the rear subframe mounts, frame rails, yada yada.

John 

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

Nice looking car. Rear wheel housings / shock towers look to have patched. That would be a red flag to hunt for more rust / rust repairs in around the rear subframe mounts, frame rails, yada yada.

John 

Yep. CP for sure!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Have seen worse for more, a lot more.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Nice looking, but as has been pointed out--look for rust in all the usual places.  Can't tell if the paint is original or a repaint but I wasn't impressed with the battery holddown.  Also it seems to have a tii clock and '73 front bumpers, complete with the heavy brackets and low front bumper guards--both of which are '73-unique.  

I like the color--Riviera is a nice, soothing color.  I'd go looking for a stock rear seat, though.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Most likely that clock has turned over at least once. Too much money for what is a relatively average car. Although I suppose the market has slowly crept to this point. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Good morning all,

This popped up on Jalopnik this morning. If you haven't seen their "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" segment it is pretty self explanatory, but they post a car for sale and the readers vote if it a good value or over priced. 

I just wanted to share because the car has what looks to have rust issues in a few areas and it is still getting voted 80%+ "Nice Price." Anywho, I think it is worth a look, also the comments are a good read. 

http://jalopnik.com/for-8-500-this-1971-bmw-2002-brings-some-neue-klasse-1693796489#

-Robert

Hmmm.

The car has been for sale several times.  3 years ago in MA, then NJ & now MD. Each time seemingly by a Dealer/Consignee; never has a licence plate on. It has covered 450 miles in 3 years!

I wonder why it hasn't sold.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Good to know Les.

There is very little chance that odometer hasn't gone around once, and the patches on the rear shock towers are pretty obvious, that battery tie down was a red flag for me too Mike. With that being said, I (and most of the people on this site) think the value is pretty high. But it is nice to see the car being called a "steal" in the comments section and getting voted "nice price" to the tune of 80%... It bodes well for the value of our cars in my opinion.

-Robert

1969 2002 to be S14 powered

Vision without execution is just hallucination - Thomas Edison 

I spoke to the seller. He don't know anything about the car and he's a dealer in disguise.

I live 20 miles from the seller. I think it looks good but I'd check it out throughly before Id buy any car .

Edited by Tulah007

Wow,that car is 2573466, mine is 2573468!

Yours weighs more. It still has metal in the shock towers.

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.