• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 Baikal tii: Reconditioned Steelies...

COOP

Those rims look great.  I've got the stock 5Jx13 wheels on both of my tiis too.  Love those tires.  Are they 165/80 or 185/70?

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Thanks John...The latter...

COOP

Wait, COOP: latter = 185/70

I believe all XAs's are approximately 80 series. There was a 185/70 XAs derivative, called the XVS, available in the late '70s -- standard on many early U.S. e21's -- but I don't believe Michelin is still producing them. What they refer to as 165HR13 and 185HR13 are, essentially, 80 series tire. If you want a Michelin 185/70, you need to move to the XDX, which is a derivative of the XWX.

And beware if these are 185HR13 XAs's, the overall diameter -- because they are not 70 series tires -- will be 24.8", substantially larger than the standard 165HR13 (a.k.a., 165/80/13) diameter of 23.2". A 185/70 tire generally has an overall diameter of approximately 23.2".

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Wait, COOP: latter = 185/70

I believe all XAs's are approximately 80 series. There was a 185/70 XAs derivative, called the XVS, available in the late '70s -- standard on many U.S. e21's -- but I don't believe Michelin is still producing them. What they refer to as 165HR13 and 185HR13 are, essentially, 80 series tire. If you want a Michelin 185/70, you need to move to the XDX, which is a derivative of the XWX.

And beware if these are 185HR13 XAs's, the overall diameter -- because they are not 70 series tires -- will be 24.8", substantially larger than the standard 165HR13 (a.k.a., 165/80/13) diameter of 23.2". A 185/70 tire generally has an overall diameter of approximately 23.2".

Regards,

Steve

They're the 165HR13 size...Sorry, I was confused.  Thanks Steve! Keeping me honest as always...LOVE that about you! ;)

COOP

post-46406-0-44420600-1427508457_thumb.j

Edited by COOP

And for those of you who can't find the 5 jx 13 plain (roundie style) steel wheels, don't laugh, but wheels from later Opel Kadette station wagons are the same width and offset--and are made by the same company--as the BMW wheels.  And even easier to find are Chevette wheels--also made by Lemmetz.  Only drawback with the Chevette wheels is that BMW wheel covers won't fit them--but I think the center caps will.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So, COOP,

I'm always trying to figure out what "original" looked like. And I've noted that most original steel rims sets, on '02s (and this seems to hold for other mass-produced cars I've checked), are neither:

1. a perfectly matched set by date; nor

2. match the car's month of manufacture.

For instance, the five original rims on my '76 date from October '75 through March '76. The '76 was manufactured April '76. The four rims on the '73 tii when I acquired it are Kronprinz, not the much more usual Lemmerz, so I'm thinking they could well be original to the car. They date from February '72 through July '72. The '73 was manufactured October '72. I just happen to have a 5x13 tii Kronprinz in my collection, and it became the '73's spare, but it is dated February '73, 4 months after the car was built. Nonetheless, I guarantee some subsequent owner will claim it is original to the car!

Did your five tii rims come to you with the car? Are they all Lemmerz rims? What are their dates -- I see one November '71 rim? What is your car's manufacturing date?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Did your five tii rims come to you with the car? Are they all Lemmerz rims? What are their dates -- I see one November '71 rim? What is your car's manufacturing date?

Hi Steve,

All five of my rims came with the tii and they are all Lemmerz with the same 11/71 date on them.  I'm not sure when my car was built but the VIN is 2760754.

COOP

Hi Steve,

All five of my rims came with the tii and they are all Lemmerz with the same 11/71 date on them.  I'm not sure when my car was built but the VIN is 2760754.

COOP

Hey, COOP,

I have a few tii VIN manufacturing dates in my files. The closest to yours appears to be 2760440, with a manufacturing date of January 3rd, 1972. I'd bet yours is a January or February 1972 car.

But if you just send an email this weekend to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) with your VIN, requesting all available information, on Monday you'll likely have, at no charge, your car's manufacturing date as well as the date when legal title was delivered to Hoffman Motors. And if you share that manufacturing date here, I can add it to my list!

Anyway, a complete set of date-matched steel rims is fairly rare. So that's cool!

Thanks for indulging me!

Regards,

Steve

But if you just send an email this weekend to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) with your VIN, requesting all available information, on Monday you'll likely have, at no charge, your car's manufacturing date as well as the date when legal title was delivered to Hoffman Motors. And if you share that manufacturing date here, I can add it to my list!

Done!

COOP