• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wrecked tii

Parkertii

Insist on NEW quarter panels.

That's not gonna happen. the insurance won't pay for it. And if they do the shop fixing it won't waste shop space waiting around for

Special order mail parts. The truth is your quarter panels are gonna have some body filler on them.

However by the looks of it, the real impact is in the center of the rear. I'd be more concerned with the floors, spare tire area, gas tank area , etc. The quarter panels will align fine once the rear is pulled and aligned.

Best of luck

USAA was the one who tried to total my 02... Good luck

how much did they try to give you for the cars worth? Also, how did you go about fighting it?

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

That's not gonna happen. the insurance won't pay for it. And if they do the shop fixing it won't waste shop space waiting around for

Special order mail parts. The truth is your quarter panels are gonna have some body filler on them.

However by the looks of it, the real impact is in the center of the rear. I'd be more concerned with the floors, spare tire area, gas tank area , etc. The quarter panels will align fine once the rear is pulled and aligned.

Best of luck

New ones may not happen but i have a good local source that may have good condition used ones from cars that he parted out back in the day. at first glance the gas tank and spare tire look to be alright as the car hit right above the bumper and did so at low speed. 

1985 318i- Retired

Parkertii,

Looking at the pic, I don't really think your gonna need new/replacement quarters . I can't even see the damage your referring to. Once the rear is pulled the stress would be relieved off of the quarters and they would likely even come straight with minimal effort or without having to actually pull the quarter panels.

Here the truth. The damage looks a lot worst then it is.

The Insurance is not gonna total your car. You will be driving your baby again by May .

Best of luck

I have had 48 years experience with USAA, and they have yet to fail to repair any of my cars--admittedly all were comprehensive claims, but they did pay for all that hail damage to my '91 318is (see the December Roundel for the story) with nary a whimper.  

State Farm...that's another story.  Had a long, drawn out "discussion" with them over a dented front fender on my '69 (their insured managed to hit the unrusted fender).  They wanted to bang the dent out, but I knew the fender would have to come off to get the dent out, and to R&R the fender and bang the dent out would cost more than a new fender ($90 at the time!)  That's exactly what my body shop (I insisted on using my choice of shops) told their field adjuster, and I got my new fender.  Nowhere near a total, but stand your ground, have lots of documentation as to the car's value ('74 tii is the lowest production of any US spec 2002).  

And of course you can always show up at their claim office wearing a neck brace!  And BTW, anytime you have a rear ender like that, you should have a doctor check you over.  Whiplash can show up long after the accident, and after you've signed the settlement, you're SOL...

Sorry for the damage, but hang tough and your tii will look like new again.  I would have never believed that those hail dents could be taken out without damaging that original paint, but it was.  

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had USAA and I fought for two months over the value of my 1602 after a wreck. The first offer being less than 2k. I would send them comparable 2002's in my local market that had sold (slim pickings in VA.) IF I recall, I was told I could not use prices of cars sold out of state.

Anyhow, after a heated debate over the phone with an agent I threatened to lawyer up. Less than an hour later they called me back and agreed on a value I could live with. $6500. The car was considered totaled, but I loved it so much I bought it back.

I left USAA after that, but I would use them again. Just not for a classic car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

FWIW USAA does offer Classic Auto policies.

Yes, but through American Collectors Insurance - http://www.americancollectors.com/

I tried to get my tii covered, but they (ACI) said my E28 daily diver was too old, thus unreliable.  I went with Hagerty (no claims so far, thankfully!) but still use USAA for the dailys.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

This is what you're in store for....  NO ONE at the insurance company will know anything about your car, you will know much more than they will, so you just need to prove the value to them.  The claims guy will probably act like they know, but it will most likely be BS.  Remember, their job is to save their company money so like others have said, be patient.

You have to start with determining the value of the car, that's where most of your effort should go.  The shop will determine the cost of repairs, then its just a numbers game.  If they want to total it but its close, you could ask what the maximum payout would be for them to just cut a check and you keep the car clear title, then you find your own shop to fix the car the way you want it.  The one good thing about not knowing the value of the car is that they don't have much to go on for salvage auction prices, which helps them determine your buy back price.

how much did they try to give you for the cars worth? Also, how did you go about fighting it?

They told me that my car with basically everything rebuilt but some slightly worn paint and 92k original miles was worth $4500 bucks. I told them to F off cause I could sell it for twice that in a day. Called my insurance and they had it all handled in under a week. I have Hartford FWIW.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Update:  The body shop is estimating 4k to fix the damage to the car. USAA looked at the car today and came back with an initial value of 4200 plus tax and indicated that it would be a full loss. I am still waiting to hear back from the other drivers insurance (state farm) but i am prepared to see similar results. That being said i have over 6k in receipts from just the parts that i have purchased for the car. So it looks like i am going to have to argue over determining the value before i am either paid or the car is repaired. Wish me luck!

1985 318i- Retired

Prove them wrong! And tell USAA to shove it for me please. You outta be able to prove a tii is easily worth more than 4k!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2