• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina racecar on ebay from Brazil

JohnS

Wow is right!  If that holds, our little pigs are going to be really valuable....and expensive to hold on to....

74 Amazonas tii, Bill Holman built, dual throttle bodies, Shrick 304, Stahl header, five speed, big brakes, H&R springs, Bilsteins, E30 BBS wheels.

Interesting, I have seen images of that car before.  He would be smart to put up at least some of the documentation he has on it.  Since he is calling it a race car i would be interested to see where it competed and who drove it.  Needless to say, at 170bhp it would have been a struggle competing since both cars competing on carbs and injection were north of 200bhp.  I see a few funky things on it but am not going to nit pick the car.  Looks like fun to drive.   He has the BIN at $90k but I don't see anyone biting on it.....yet.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

I think it is the "real deal" as far as a street going AlpinA car is concerned.  That said I haven't seen the paperwork he suggests he has to back up the claim, no reason to doubt it really based on most of what I see on the car.  What I am saying is that in that year or those years the car would be racing under Grp. 5 or Grp. 2 rules, it doesn't have the bodywork on it to suggest that and like I said, at 170bhp it would not be powerful enough to compete.  At the very least the car would have pig cheeks on it and a stripped out interior, wheels, etc.,.  I am not nit-picking the car, just interpreting the "description" which folks seem to be quite liberal about on cars (and parts) sometimes....without a bullet proof pedigree a very high price to pay.  We'll see in a few days.  I for one will be watching.

Edited by markmac

petrolicious article from a few years ago.

http://www.petrolicious.com/bmw-2002-ti-alpina

owned by race car driver does not mean it is a race car.......the history on the brazil page shows zero racing history.  no cage.

nice sporty street car, but not a race car.

kinda like when HPDE students say they "race" their cars...

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

It does have a hoop but not a race roll cage that is for sure, you can see the hoop on the video in the Brazilian site. Nice cat but not $90,000 nice in my opinion :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

You can read my thoughts on my website, too much to post here  :P

Long story short: I'd be skeptical of both the ti and Alpina claims, so do your research.

No VIN provided. The VIN would quickly and unambiguously resolve the ti question.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

BMWnKTM, your blog offers some misinformation about the number of tis produced.

According to the Colombia website, which appears to be very accurate regarding VINs and manufacture dates, there were 16,436 tis and 1,672 turbos built. That'a almost 10 times as many tis. Now in 2015, there may very well be more existing turbos than tis. Tis were driven, raced, and discarded, while the turbo was a rare collectible beast right from the beginning.other than that good observations. I think this car probably is a real ti AlpinA, but I don't see any bids yet.

BMWnKTM, your blog offers some misinformation about the number of tis produced.

According to the Colombia website, which appears to be very accurate regarding VINs and manufacture dates, there were 16,436 tis and 1,672 turbos built. That'a almost 10 times as many tis. Now in 2015, there may very well be more existing turbos than tis. Tis were driven, raced, and discarded, while the turbo was a rare collectible beast right from the beginning.other than that good observations. I think this car probably is a real ti AlpinA, but I don't see any bids yet.

Tony, thanks for the fact checking! I didn't mean to phrase it the way I did, and it has since been corrected. I meant to say that less are still around (according to some), not that less were initially produced.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Usually when someone puts something like this on Ebay with a high BIN number and no other option, it's a "bait the hook and throw it in the water and lets see what happens" approach, he has probably received some email traffic about what he would take for the car (just speculating, but that is what often happens...).  The link below is that barn find AlpinA 2oo2 Gr. 5 car Richard Stern came across a few years back.  Quite a difference between this car and the car on Ebay.  For those asking about the 3 gauge cluster in a thread some time ago, check these photos.  Also note the main gauge cluster, a 10k rpm smiths tacho, but for some strange reason the clock is still in there.  My AlpinA car is a "werks" car, no paperwork since they built it for themselves to race and did so for two years only to sell it off, only the FIA Wagenpass (that I don't have) and of course the guys that built the car examined all the photo's.

http://s138.photobucket.com/user/richstern/library/Alpina%20Works%20Car?sort=3&page=1

(I edited my own response, as I read through the paperwork, it became clear ALPINA raced it first then sold it off, when they sold it off, they included build sheets spec's for the car).  This would be a very valuable car....pretty cool with all the paperwork. 

Edited by markmac