• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How taboo? Changing the color from Atlantik Blue to Florida Green

danco_

Am I crazy? Is this an irrational thought? Would I get banned from the FAQ?

Context: My two favorite colors on an 02 is probably Colorado Orange and Florida Green. Oh and Polaris silver. Taiga green is cool too. Fjord blue is up there, as is Bristol grey. But my absolute favorites? Florida and Colorado.

I have a late, US-spec BMW 1600. As in, March 1971 build date in original Atlantik blue. This car has all the cool early styling, with all of the late mechanicals and drivetrain. If for whatever reason, you want to follow along with the build thread, here is the link: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151207-just-in-time-for-summer-1971-bmw-1600/

My dilemma: The car's paint is destroyed. In some photos, it actually cleans up quite nicely (especially in a few of the latest ones), but the problem is the finish doesn't stay great for long. 3 weeks after the really nice photos were taken, the paint has gone mostly flat and blotchy. My guess is that this has something to do with the polish and the synthetic wax reaction to one another. 

Before photos: 

JCeGwy4.jpg?1

JjLvTXx.jpg?1

After a little wetsanding, buffing, and polishing: 

1pDshJd.jpg?1

1pLUcpH.jpg?1

I don't have as much time to maintain the paintwork on this car as I'd like, and I don't feel great sending it off to someone who will polish every 2 months. It's not a sustainable practice and I'd rather not do it. 

I have been toying with the idea of an exterior restoration. Things like fresh paint, new trim, polished things, us-sidemarker delete, euro bumpers, etc. Now I'm a very logical person (sometimes). 80% of the time I think about repaint, my brain says that Atlantik blue is no contest and correct for the car. But you see, I have this wild hair on my chin that every once in a while, will interject and whisper promise of wild adventures and better times if I repaint the car to Florida green. And I am a sucker for wild adventures and questionable life decisions, so this is right up my alley.

Yes, this will require a full and complete repaint, bare shell, door jambs, windows and trim off, etc. And I am prepared for that. The car is very well sorted as it is. I have a few go-fast goodies on it, and a new interior will be going in quite soon. This isn't a concourse car and never will be. It's likely been hit in the rear, as this would explain the lack of model and emblem provisions, but I don't mind any of it. It's dry, straight, and could use some fresh paint. 

Pros to a color change:

-It's what I've always wanted and is just a phone call/check away. 

-Smiles per mile will increase significantly

-Better color than Atlantik (in my eyes) 

Cons to a color change: 

-A lot of work to do correctly

-incorrect for the VIN and originality

-I'll probably lose the bullet hole in the hood (which is extremely cool to me)

-likely decrease in overall value (though this is debatable and too many variables to consider)

So I'm torn. I like Atlantik blue. I love Florida green. This car doesn't maintain very much originality as far as mechanical components go, so I'm not pushing originality too hard on this project.

How can anyone say no to this configuration? 

xdUpYZz.jpg?1

KzQ8T8x.jpg?1

So what do you say? Bad idea? Should I stay Atlantik? Maybe make my irrational dream of having a decent Florida car come true?

Maybe stop complaining about first-world problems and accept that I have a heavily patina'd car and just enjoy it how it is?

My life is a mess, but I'm curious to see what you have to say. If you were in my shoes, what route would you go?

-Ryan Danco

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Personally I'd stay with Atlantik and see if it could be sprayed with a coat of clear. Yet if you have your heart set on Florida go for it. I do not think one color is better than the other. I wanted a Malaga 2002, wound up with a Verona which I've grown to love.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Id leave it and enjoy the patina and lack of concern that comes along with that. Ive had both. what Id call mint and then a 20 footer.... And it is so liberating not worrying about someone touching my car and just being able to drive it and take it anywhere and walk away from it and not worry and peer out of windows at dinner to see if its ok

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'll start by saying that I would probably never do a color change on a car. Why? Just 'cuz! But I also wouldn't buy a car that came from the factory in a color I didn't want. That said, you should do whatever you want to your car. I believe the value "penalty" for a color-changed car -- assuming the color change is well done -- is somewhere between (a.) 10% of the value of an equivalent factory-color car, and (b.) zero, as in nada, as in $0. It depends on the color, the buyer, and whatever.

Apart from that, it does seem pretty financially irresponsible to embark on a "correct" color change -- I'm assuming $10K to $20K -- on a car that (a.) has beautiful paintwork when maintained and polished; (b.) is a gorgeous color already; and (c.) will probably increase in value by $1K to $3K by having $10K to $20K invested in that correct color change. But your dollars are yours to spend, not mine!

Good luck with your decision,

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I say go for it and paint it Florida.

I have a '71 1602 originally chamonix but PO painted it Baikal. I'm currently prepping it for paint. No way I'm going back to the original color and I've loved Bristol 02's long enough to feel comfortable with proceeding with the new color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I've changed every full respray I did. 

I R STOOPID!

It's a royal pain in the butt.

That said, if you want to do it, go right ahead.  It's just a LOT
of cleaning and sanding in places that the sun's never shined in.

And it looks FANTASTIC afterwards, because you've cleaned and painted

places that haven't seen even a scrub- brush since 1972.

I won't do it again.  I swear.  Until I do...

As to the originality factor- bananas.  These aren't rare cars- a nice paint job's always better than oxidized DelStar,

and it just doesn't matter that much.  To normal human beings.

hee

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Id leave it and enjoy the patina and lack of concern that comes along with that. Ive had both. what Id call mint and then a 20 footer.... And it is so liberating not worrying about someone touching my car and just being able to drive it and take it anywhere and walk away from it and not worry and peer out of windows at dinner to see if its ok

+1 on this. I often toy with the idea of a complete re-paint on my car (it's a 10-footer), but then quickly realize that if I went that route I'd be too paranoid to actually drive it. I've had garage queens and the constant paranoia is no fun at all.

I still like Florida, but I'd be lying if I said I want want my car sitting at the paint shop for three months, during the spring and summer months. 

I'll just suck it up and drive around and enjoy it for what it is. Paint will come, but I'll scratch the Florida itch when a genuine Florida car comes around. Or an earlier 1600

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards