• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Rear Bumper or center section + Steelies

Fritz1602

Hi Forum,

I have a 1968 1600-2. I am looking for a good used rear bumper or just the center section. I need the rear bumper that is all chrome without the rub strip in the middle. I need the short end bumper.

I am also looking for 4 steelies for the same car. I have the hub caps. Just looking for the steelies now. I am located in Long Island, NY. 

PM me or just post here with any info. Thanks!!! :)

1968 BMW 1600-2

A set of 5 matched 4.5x13 steel rims:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/164623-original-finish-steel-wheels-with-michelin-xas-collectors/

Although these are dated '71, (a.) they are identical in specs to '68 1600-2 steelies; and (b.) finding '68-dated steel rims is quite a challenge because the number of early cars produced and surviving is small.

But lose the old Michelin XAS tires: quaint but unsafe if more than 10 years old. You can still buy XAS tires new, Coker Tire is the sole U.S. distributor.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A set of 5 matched 4.5x13 steel rims:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/164623-original-finish-steel-wheels-with-michelin-xas-collectors/

Although these are dated '71, (a.) they are identical in specs to '68 1600-2 steelies; and (b.) finding '68-dated steel rims is quite a challenge because the number of early cars produced and surviving is small.

But lose the old Michelin XAS tires: quaint but unsafe if more than 10 years old. You can still buy XAS tires new, Coker Tire is the sole U.S. distributor.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good morning! Thank you for all the information. I saw the ad for those wheels and tires but I can imagine the seller will want allot of $$$ for that set. I am open to any descent steelies right now. I have bottle cap alloys on my car right now and I hate the why they look on the car. I want to mount the OEM hub caps on my car to return it back to stock. I have a quick question for you. If I do manage to locate stock steelies, do I have to purchase special size tires for those wheels? Or, can I mount 175/70/13's on stock steelies? Any info would be great. Let me know.

Regards,

Demetri

1968 BMW 1600-2

Hi Steve,

Good morning! Thank you for all the information. I saw the ad for those wheels and tires but I can imagine the seller will want allot of $$$ for that set. I am open to any descent steelies right now. I have bottle cap alloys on my car right now and I hate the why they look on the car. I want to mount the OEM hub caps on my car to return it back to stock. I have a quick question for you. If I do manage to locate stock steelies, do I have to purchase special size tires for those wheels? Or, can I mount 175/70/13's on stock steelies? Any info would be great. Let me know.

Regards,

Demetri

Demetri,

You can certainly mount 175/70/13s on the original 13" steel rims. A 175/70/13, however, has a slightly smaller overall diameter than the original 165/80/13 tires, so your speedometer and odometer will be off somewhat. A 185/70/13 tire has almost the exact overall diameter as a 165/80/13, so that's preferable to a 175/70/13. And, of course, there are still a few of us who insist on 165/80/13 tires!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Demetri,

You can certainly mount 175/70/13s on the original 13" steel rims. A 175/70/13, however, has a slightly smaller overall diameter than the original 165/80/13 tires, so your speedometer and odometer will be off somewhat. A 185/70/13 tire has almost the exact overall diameter as a 165/80/13, so that's preferable to a 175/70/13.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for all the helpful information. I am waiting for some members to send me pictures and prices right now. You have been very informative and helpful! I'll be sure to contact you if I have any other questions. Have a great day!

Regards,

Demetri

1968 BMW 1600-2