• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

for sale in SoCal ..... '73 2002tii

It does appear to be a solid example being sold by a straight-forward seller -- in contrast to the Colorado and Navy Blue car.

But -- and I know you disagree with me, conkitchen -- I wouldn't buy a salvage title car, as is this Malaga-to-Schwarz example, and invest a lot of money in it. I fully understand how easy it was/is to wind up with a salvage title on an old car. But whereas I believe a color change may have virtually no effect on a car's value, depending on the quality of the color change and the choice of color, collectors will generally not touch salvage title cars, eliminating a good source of high bids!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Collectors; if everyone was one, there would be no cars left to drive and enjoy for the thrill of it. I suppose if a 65 427 AC Cobra had a salvage title no collector would want it either. ;-) Salvage gets its bad rap in the minds of those who fear the car has been severally damaged or fatally flawed as a result of an accident. Noting fixed/repaired improperly. Many of the clean title cars out there have been in accidents and busted up. They were likely never totaled by an insurance company. Which is where the salvage designation comes from to avoid paying out full value again since it has already be done once. Technically if an average 2002 got all "key'd and scratched up needing to be repainted under a basic insurance claim, it would have to be totaled. Good thing is specialty insurance companies have risen to the cause and go by mutually agreed upon values.

But what do I know

Animation1-1.gif

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

It does appear to be a solid example being sold by a straight-forward seller -- in contrast to the Colorado and Navy Blue car.

But -- and I know you disagree with me, conkitchen -- I wouldn't buy a salvage title car, as is this Malaga-to-Schwarz example, and invest a lot of money in it. I fully understand how easy it was/is to wind up with a salvage title on an old car. But whereas I believe a color change may have virtually no effect on a car's value, depending on the quality of the color change and the choice of color, collectors will generally not touch salvage title cars, eliminating a good source of high bids!

Regards,

Steve

Color change is BAD LUCK!! 7 YEARS of reliability problems!!

.........at least that was my dad told me when I was 16, and wanted to change the color of my Triumph TR4 from white to British racing green! 

This is the car from the O.P., as referred to in Post #2 above as "Heavily discussed here and on BAT"....

(I wondered where the BAT entry got the obviously-inaccurate "original color" reference as the old eBay listing made no such claim. I question the decision of the current seller, who claims to be the recent eBay buyer, to re-use the photos and idiotic text from the eBay listing!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

To me, these scruffy Cali roundie tiis that have obvious things wrong with them are perfect for two kinds of buyers:

1.  People that do their own work, that aren't obsessed with originality.  They want to drive it - want a driver 02 with a bit more - a roundie tii driver.  The amount I hear people looking for this sort of thing (allegedly) tells me that, at a price point of low teens, that person is out there, and really, everyone could win in that scenario.  

2.  Total speculators.  People that think roundie tiis are going to be worth a ton of money some day, and want to begin hoarding them at low teens price point, with the idea that they will trot them out in 10 years when a repaint and some trim is going to seem trivial in price vs. the value.  If the motor is original, that is a big deal.  A nice original color to revert to, would help, too (like the Baikal).  To me, if there is a day in the foreseeable future where these things are worth $100K...then people salting them away at $13k now are going to win financially.  We're all used to a nice original tiis being $15K-$20K, but that may or may not be the future.  I have no idea re the future.  I'm not a private equity person or venture capitalist.  I just like driving 02s.

Bad for two kinds of buyers:

1.  People that want an original car.  Purists.  OOps, these cars aren't that.  The faux Colorado guy is selling it because he is this person.

2.  People that want to restore one to perfect, but don't want to be massively upside down.  

That's just my two cents.  You all know a lot more.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI