• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Widebody 75' wheel tire size question

Windsma

Im building a 75 widebody 02 Turbo M42

and Im looking for opinions on Wheel tire fitment. The car will be raced (VIR/RoadATL) fun street use, it will have Coilover suspension with Rack and Pinion

Currently the 02 has e30 basket weaves. I mocked up the widebody kit and it measured 1in clearance to the outside. 

reading A LOT.. 02's like a 4.5 backspaced wheel. 

Found some 15x8  ET 0

quick measurements this would give me 4in back spacing

Also priced some RS3's  225/45-15 

Should I go wider wheel/tire or play it safe? 

Pics of kit purchased:

Not My car

_12_zpsmkfsyyb8.jpg

_12%201_zpsmxt9ywb2.jpg

Edited by Windsma

I don't have experience with box flares. But on my pig cheek car I'm running 13x8 et negative 10 with 205/60 rubber (iirc.) That's with bilstein sports and eibach springs. I have no clearance issues.

About to switch to IE front coilovers up front and #350 IE race spring in the back. Also switching to a 15X8.5 et10 wheel. Haven't figured out tires yet.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

What class are you going to race in?

Because that may influence your wheel/tire choice.

Yes, you could go bigger- but to start, run what you got, since it's not a bad starting point,

and see how it works from there.

Or rather, get out there, get the bugs worked out, then you can adjust tires as you go.

t

last seen on 22x9.5-15 cantilevers....

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Then I'd start with tires you know and like, and get some about- zero offset rims to start with.

Because as you go, you'll find all sorts of variables that affect your tire choice, and these days,

rims don't cost as much as a set of good tires!

Sounds like fun!  

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL