• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb decisions....keep the 38/38 or dive into the DCOE 40s?

jrhone

Yup, there is lots of archival info....BUT there are some new products and people that may have had more mileage on their setups and have more input.  Its rare someone goes back to a 2 year old thread to say Oh after a few years my problems have worked themselves out and I love it now, OR my wonderful setup that I loved originally now has me retuning weekly and its never right.  So asking the question again isn't always a bad thing...plus I love Marshall's input.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

38mm Keihin flat-slide motorcycle carbs that have been hogged out to 40mm, mated to the "Lynx" manifold. I ran these carbs on my "Pro-4" when I was racing circle track. I'm going to do the install after Brisbane and Bimmerfest

Of course there is one logical conclusion to this.

Get another pair of carbs! Do it!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

there are some new products

please excuse my indulgence JR..this is one softball i just can't resist... :) 

we are talking about a comparison of two 40 year old carb designs here...there is nothing new to be said! :D  :D  :D  

but KB's dyno video was worth the effort of the thread...unless he posted it before.... B)

2xM3

OK...I'll toss another...lol

When did Ireland make their intakes?  40 years ago or just a few years?  Crane, MSD, Pertonix all have new products within the last 2 years that COULD have an effect on performance of either system, linkage systems that are new in the last few years, which people say is a VERY important part of DCOE setups, etc...  

Yes both carbs are old technology, but there may be new things that have an effect on the tuning and performance of both designs.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

@Simeon; I had four of them at one time, but that was over 10-years ago, somehow,  one came up missing. So the Lynx made more sense, with a stock motor, and I still had three of the flat-slides already, just sitting, collecting dust. 

Here is a couple of photos of my Bro's car with the 4-44 Mikuni's round-slides on his circle track car

post-46166-0-90825900-1429963420_thumb.p

post-46166-0-27245900-1429963572_thumb.p

Edited by Doug Riparetti

Gotta say,

the best thing about sidedrafts is when you have something you want to change, you adjust something, and they actually change. Kind of like you had hoped.

Plus, if you have all the bugs out, they do sound nice. And you can get them right, unlike the 38 that you can get close...

New? Yeah, maybe a nice new distributor with just the right curve. And a solid linkage you built out of new, high quality parts

Otherwise, new means EFI with a nice crankfired ignition. ...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL