• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tachometer that would work in '67 1600-2 6V system.

prezucha

There was a factory 6V accessory tach. They do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. But your best bet is to take a 12V one to Palo Alto Speedometer to be converted, or find a 6-12V resistor adaptor.

Page29.jpg

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi Tom,

Thanks!  Long time...  Finally have the car on the road!  Took over a year but it's running ok and complete suspension work that I did seems ok...  I want someone knowledgeable to go through it though just to make sure.  My son is driving it back and forth to school while we are doing a 3 liter swap on his 240z... 

I'll keep an eye out for a 12v one!  Simple to install?  Does it replace the clock space?

Cheers!

Paul

post-46482-0-16672900-1429733234_thumb.j

Edited by prezucha

Replaces the clock. You'll need a little black wire run from the coil to the tach.

See you in a couple of weeks in Brisbane?

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i

Hi all,

I've read that someone installed a tach in their 1600 6V car but can't seem to find it.  Looking to buy a tach that would replace the clock which isn't working.  Is this something that is very easy to hook up?

Thanks!

Paul

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance regarding these tachs but would it not be possible to use a 6 volt to 12 volt boost converter and use an unmodified 12 volt tachometer?  Getting from 6 volts to 12 volts isn't very difficult, particularly since the current load isn't likely to be too high.

If the tach pulse is a low-current pulse, you could use an optocoupler to bring it to 12 volts as well.  All in all, not too much circuitry.

Hi Healey3000,

I certainly don't know if that would work.  Don't even know what you are talking about  :) .  I'm sure some of the guys on here have tried something... Maybe converting isn't a big deal... Maybe it's doing what you are suggesting somehow...  Do you have a 3000?  I've had Bugeyes since I was 15 in '69 and still have my racing Bugeye I bought when 17 in '71!  Having it all redone to super high specs...  Cheers!  Paul

tjones02,

I found a guy selling a tach from a '75 02. Does it matter what year or are all the 02's the same?  I'll call Palo Alto Speedometer to see what they charge...  Thanks! Paul

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance regarding these tachs but would it not be possible to use a 6 volt to 12 volt boost converter and use an unmodified 12 volt tachometer? Getting from 6 volts to 12 volts isn't very difficult, particularly since the current load isn't likely to be too high.

If the tach pulse is a low-current pulse, you could use an optocoupler to bring it to 12 volts as well. All in all, not too much circuitry.

That's a very interesting thought, to me, at minimum, because I believe prezucha has a 6V to 12V converter already under his hood, converting the 6V for a 12V radio. Admittedly, I've never seen his radio, but I had such a converter on my '67 1600-2, in the early '70s, because I wanted to run a REAL stereo, not a 6V antique! (Today I'd probably be tossing out the converter and installing a period 6V Becker.)

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ideally you want a "Silver Dollar" tach that would match the rest of your instruments... I can bring one to Brisbane for you.

Yes, you can use a converter... Like I noted in my initial reply. ;)

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

tjones02, 

Please bring one if you can.  I am seeing if the guy I spoke to has a silver dollar style tach.  Yes, I would like to match.  I would guess that a converter is cheaper than having Palo Alto Speedometer convert the tach....  But I don't know.  

Here is a close shot of the black box in my engine compartment.  I just confirmed that a wire from my ignition goes to the fuse that then goes out to the black box and the wire returned goes to the red wire of the radio.  I cannot tell if the radio (a Conrad) is 12V or not but it certainly isn't an original 6v one!  

Can you tell me if the radio housing is a BMW part?  It fits nicely over the tranny tunnel and seems fit well overall...

And finally, can this converter be used for the tach?  Black wire from distributor goes to black box and then back to the tach?

Thanks!

Paul

post-46482-0-26163500-1429838709_thumb.j

post-46482-0-34251600-1429838712_thumb.j

post-46482-0-28129700-1429838715_thumb.j

Edited by prezucha

That speaker grille is not factory, but, may be period aftermarket. US dealers installed all kinds of radios instead of the expensive factory ones.

Page3.jpg

Tom Jones

tjones02,

Please bring one if you can. I am seeing if the guy I spoke to has a silver dollar style tach. Yes, I would like to match. I would guess that a converter is cheaper than having Palo Alto Speedometer convert the tach.... But I don't know.

Here is a close shot of the black box in my engine compartment. I just confirmed that a wire from my ignition goes to the fuse that then goes out to the black box and the wire returned goes to the red wire of the radio. I cannot tell if the radio (a Conrad) is 12V or not but it certainly isn't an original 6v one!

Can you tell me if the radio housing is a BMW part? It fits nicely over the tranny tunnel and seems fit well overall...

And finally, can this converter be used for the tach? Black wire from distributor goes to black box and then back to the tach?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

The console that houses the radio is certainly an original BMW console. Tom addressed the radio's speaker and grille above. I certainly agree with Tom that the fascia for the radio and speaker -- and the grille itself -- are likely period aftermarket, the radio cutout having been subsequently butchered to accommodate the taller Conrad radio, probably designed for U.S. cars of the mid-to-late '70s.

As I expressed in the thread concerning your carb problem, the black box in your engine compartment is a 6V-to-12V converter, as I used on my '67 1600-2 in the early '70s (to run my Lear Jet AM/FM 8-track!). And the AM/FM cassette radio, of course, is not a '67 unit -- I'd estimate it's mid-to-late '70s. Although I've never knowingly seen a Conrad radio before, I'm confident it's not 6V.

6V-to-12V converters are probably all of $20: they're still used regularly in classic and antique vehicles to run modern stereos et al.

As an aside, every time I see these beautiful "chrome-faced" dashes, I'm reminded of how elegant these early cars were, before cost-cutting, U.S. DOT regulations, and changing styles took these fine touches away!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Healey3000,

I certainly don't know if that would work.  Don't even know what you are talking about   :) .  I'm sure some of the guys on here have tried something... Maybe converting isn't a big deal... Maybe it's doing what you are suggesting somehow...  Do you have a 3000?  I've had Bugeyes since I was 15 in '69 and still have my racing Bugeye I bought when 17 in '71!  Having it all redone to super high specs...  Cheers!  Paul

tjones02,

I found a guy selling a tach from a '75 02. Does it matter what year or are all the 02's the same?  I'll call Palo Alto Speedometer to see what they charge...  Thanks! Paul

Hi Paul,

I do have a 3000 (under restoration at the moment).  I have to install the body panels but the rest is done.

Bugeyes sure are fun.  To me, the Bugeye is to the 2002 as the 3000 is to the e9.

tjones02,

Please bring the tach if you can find it.  The other guy had only newer ones.  Also I have a set of 40DCOE webers that I would like to try on the car someday.  The way the throttle linkage is designed is such that I need to cut the rod that comes from the firewall and then attach a "universal" linkage thing to it.  I want to be able to put back my Solex so am looking for an extra throttle rod bar.  Sorry can't explain it well.  It's what comes from the firewall to the carb that pivots when giving gas.  Maybe 02Salvage might have one....  Anyway, having the car checked out Wed to make sure it's roadworthy and will see you Saturday!  Thanks!  Paul