• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Shock Replacement question

Go to solution Solved by mistahgrovah,

Hope this doesn't turn out to be a duplicate post but the first try didn't seem to take:

Probably a stupid question but here goes anyway.  I bought a set of replacement Bilsteins from Bavauto for my 74 tii.  Got the old shocks off and the new ones on.  Only problem is I can't get the locknut on the top mount to cinch down.  When I try to tighten it, the whole metal rod inside the shock turns.  Have tried to use a pair of vise grips on the rod while tightening but that didn't do it.  The "instructions" with the replacement shocks consisted only of a diagram showing how the washers, bushings, metal spacer and locknut go together.  Thought I followed it correctly.  Okay so what am I doing wrong?

Yikes I hope the vice grips didnt mar the rod.  There is a pretty sensitive diaphragm in there that keeps dirt and stuff out, that will get chewed up by divots on the rod.  Anyway, I cant recall 100% if it was my e30 or the 02 that had the hex at the end of the rod.  The hex would keep the rod from spinning and you can use a box wrench to tighten.  If its the one without the hex you just need to use an impact and a leather glove to hold the rod to give it some slight resistance.

Hey,

The top threaded portion of the shock should have a hollow portion through the center of the shaft. It is shaped to accept an Allen wrench, 5 or 6 mm. This allows you to hold the shaft while tightening the nut.

If you have a compressor and an adjustable impact gun, the strut nut can be snugged down by setting the gun to its lowest torque setting and carefully "bumping" the gun's trigger to gradually tighten the nut - be careful not to over-tighten.

Have also found that an impact gun is by far the easiest way to remove the nut on an old set of strut inserts.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)