• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does a VW bug get 160hp and for a 2002.........

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

a kit car with a turbocharged VW engine, this car was dynoed and there was no bragging here, I felt every one of those horses, lots of torque too! How they do it? Lots of money and they sacrifice engine longevity a bit.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

you can make a well balanced type I configured engine past a 3 liter with aftermarket cases etc and can achieve well over the 200 hp mark if you have enough $ to throw at it. VW's are amazing motors for weight/power/$ when they are kept reasonable. 150 hp in a old vw bug/ghia/bus/Tiii FEELS like riding in a rocket, you'll still get your ass handed to you sometimes, but it IS a fun ride.

Guest Anonymous

popular since about forever, which has resulted in lots of companies doing lots of R&D on go-fast stuff, so there are a lot more performance parts to work with for VWs than there are for M10 motors.

I went to comunity college with a guy named Greg Aronsen who had a high 13 second street VW in Anaheim around 1970 - if I remember correctly, his engines would only go about 10,000 miles and cost a huge amount to build, but the car was serious fast (it was also the original "Cal Look" bug - refrigerater white, no bumpers, dropped nose, BRM wheels). He ultimately became on of the principals in FAT (Flemming/Aronsen/Thurber) Performance.

Guest Anonymous

IT HAS A 911 FANSHROUD & ALTERNATOR BUT IT IS A TYPE 1

TYPE 4 MOTORS HAVE THE EXHAUST PORTS FACE DOWNWARD .

TPYE 1 HAS THEM COME OUT THE FRONT & BACK OF THE HEAD .

Guest Anonymous

A extremely hot N/A 1776 (90.5 X 69mm)..or a hot N/A 1915 (94 X 69mm) can be made to meet or exceed 160 flywheel HP with off the shelf parts, the latter 1915 being even easier to achieve. OTOH, to squeeze that from a N/A 1600 is pushing it..BIG TIME! I have a N/A 2275 (94 X 82mm) in my '67 T1 (bug), I have not dynoed the beast yet, but the proven combo I put together "should" be in the 200 flywheel HP range. Easy mid 12 sec 1/4 mile. Specs of my engine: 82mm flanged crank, H-beam rods, supersquish pistons @ 13.2:1 CR on pump gas <=(not a typo), Stage7 heads with 44mm intake/37.5mm exhaust, 1.4:1 Pauter billet rockers, Web 86B cam (.575 lift/300 deg duration), 1 3/4" merged header, TWM 48mm dual throttle bodies, Autronic SMC ECU. Yes, the oomph from this stroker in my 1800 lb bug can be quite alarming..no comparison to the tii!

Longevity is dependent on the parts chosen and attention to detail during assembly not to mention how it is driven like anything else. I'd expect something like 40K mi. before cylinder barrel/rings/bearings replacement..not in the league of BMW, but being that it is my "weekend" car, it will be years before I reach that goal if ever. I can shift at 7K RPM.

Now if you want forced induction..that's another ballgame and 250-300HP not a prob and proven combos are all over. Don't be fooled into thinking it will be cheap, an engine like this can push $15K easily. I already invested just about $10K on my engine alone..tranny, another $2.5K it adds up quickly just like BMW.. LOL As you can see I am a near total VW nut , only matched by my love of 2002's.. and love talking about it!

Joel

73 tii Sahara

76 02A White

88 325I

67 VW bug (sleeper)

Guest Anonymous

VW motors are way oversquare, like bike motors. Short stroke, big slugs, capable of high rpm but relatively short on torque vs. HP. Their cousins at Porsche squeeze upwards of 400 hp out of less than 4 liters without much trouble.

My Alfa GTV 2 liter pushed about 150 hp with no real major mods -- 10.4:1 pistons, slightly higher lift cams timed for a little more overlap and light flywheel. Completely tractable street motor. 180 to 200 was possible when you started looking at forged pistons and carillo rods, big valves, more radical cams, stroker cranks. A twin spark head and a turbo and you'd have 250 on tap. And a hole in your wallet...

Guest Anonymous

I would have loved a hi-hp motor, but I was on a high school/college budget. I had a 1600 dual port motor in it, and I rebuilt it using decent parts. I could hit 90 mph if I had enough room.

It was kindof rusty, and I left it behind when I moved from the East Coast to the West Coast. I still miss it. I love steel dashboards.

What I don't miss is having to kneel down to work on the motor. I much prefer the front engine setup of the 2002.

Mike