• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the '74tii is broken .....

Hi Carl,

Sorry to hear about the setback.

If it were my engine, I would definitely take a good hard look at the oil supply to the injection pump. 

However, I would first drain the remaining engine oil into a clean pan for inspection and cut apart the oil filter to check for debris, along with sending out a sample of the oil to Blackstone Labs or similar. They will likely be able to tell if there is a "normal" level of metallic debris in the oil from engine break-in, or if it is excessive.

There may be foreign debris in the oil system, either from the KF pump failure or from elsewhere and it took out the KF pump.

It would be very odd for an injection pump to randomly seize up without a definite cause.

If the oil system is clean, I would pull the spark plugs and crank over the engine while observing flow from the KF pump oil feed hose.

Good luck, and I hope it gets sorted in a timely manner. My KF pump is still residing with Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection (he does excellent work), awaiting a rebuild for "normal" reasons.

Chris

Edited by cda951

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Friday 22 May 2015 update .....

just got the word from Le Tran:  the KF has been rebuilt and he now has it in his possession !!  He's thinking to have it up and running next week, and hopefully trade-back for the Green Loaner next Thursday !!

Le%20Tran__KF%20pump%20rebuilt__22%20May

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Did you get an idea of what happened to it ?

Ken

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold