• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 SCHNITZER VIN

Panchitus

Hi everybody

I need a little help with this particular theme so,

Does anybody  knows if there is specific VIN Number for a BMW 2002 Schnitzer the one with wide body,  or how can I be sure that the car is a original Schnitzer and not a reproduction?

Schnitzer´s comes with aluminum wide body kit? or fibre one,  8V cylinder head, or just 16V 20-4 ?, 5 speed gear box with dog ring?

I know I´m in right 2002  place, so thanks in advance for your help! :D

Francisco

I seriously doubt that BMW Archives' factory records indicate that a particular car was modified by Schnitzer.  A bona fide Schnitzer car was likely simply a 2002 or 2002ti, or 2002tii when it emerged from the factory.  Schnitzer, not BMW modified it.  Thus, you're looking for Schnitzer records to confirm a Schnitzer-modified car.

It will not answer your question, but you can nonetheless send the car's VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request the information that is in their records.  You will at least get a manufacturing date, the original model, and the original color, all of which might help you confirm the Schnitzer connection.

I would guess that a bona fide Schnitzer car might still have it's log books.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The wide bodied car(s) you are referring to were Group 5 spec cars and had the Schnitzer 20-4 Turbocharged motors.  As Steve suggested above, Schnitzer took a 2oo2 shell and then modified it extensively.  There is an incredible amount of modification that went into one of these - and while you could replicate one today (in terms of sheet metal fabrication) it isn't possible to get the (period correct) parts to make one up, those parts aren't made and really don't come up on the second hand market.  But then you probably already knew that.  No idea on how many of these cars Schnitzer produced, safe to say that it was only a few at most (I am thinking 3 or 4 max).  They only ran the car a couple of years '76-'77 and then had to give way to the E-21 bodied cars, but they (Schnitzer) had stuck with the o2 longer than anyone and had developed it to its max potential.  Schnitzer still does have one of the cars (in its showroom) I would guess not for sale.  The other was restored by a friend of mine several years ago and I believe is somewhere in the UK....link to a thread I have on these cars.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/search/label/SCHNITZER%201.4%20Turbo

Chassis # 3635368 would be a Nov~Dec '72 manufacture; round taillights et al. Did Schnitzer take 5 years to use the body or did they buy it on the used car market?

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The wide bodied car(s) you are referring to were Group 5 spec cars and had the Schnitzer 20-4 Turbocharged motors.  As Steve suggested above, Schnitzer took a 2oo2 shell and then modified it extensively.  There is an incredible amount of modification that went into one of these - and while you could replicate one today (in terms of sheet metal fabrication) it isn't possible to get the (period correct) parts to make one up, those parts aren't made and really don't come up on the second hand market.  But then you probably already knew that.  No idea on how many of these cars Schnitzer produced, safe to say that it was only a few at most (I am thinking 3 or 4 max).  They only ran the car a couple of years '76-'77 and then had to give way to the E-21 bodied cars, but they (Schnitzer) had stuck with the o2 longer than anyone and had developed it to its max potential.  Schnitzer still does have one of the cars (in its showroom) I would guess not for sale.  The other was restored by a friend of mine several years ago and I believe is somewhere in the UK....link to a thread I have on these cars.

great thread read!

2xM3

My best guess is (and since I don't know for sure I am going to qualify it as a guess.....) is that they took a solid car from the "used" car market place.  That was definitely the case with my AlpinA Gr. 2 car.  My car started off as a 1969 2oo2ti and was delivered to Italy (according to BmW AG) and somehow ended up back in Germany.  I am not sure if anyone is still alive to know what the story is on that.  What is curious (about my car) is that the vin stamping you would usually find in the passenger side engine bay area.....isn't there.  No stamping, no numbers.  Very curious.  Also, in the case of my car, they updated the rear panel to a square tail light configuration.  I believe that Schnitzer did the same thing, used earlier bodied cars and then updated them (square tail lights).  The earlier cars were just a bit lighter than the later cars by a couple of hundred pounds if I recall correctly.  My car, in race trim was 900kg but still retained steel doors, hood and deck lid <boot>, the Schnitzer cars weighed in at 810kg but they operated under Gruppe 5 rules so they could use fiberglass everything (boot, hood, doors w/plexi, wings etc.,), gutted interior, just the skin of the front nose etc.,  Like all good racers they did everything they needed to get right to the minimum weight allowed - using alloy metals in suspension, brakes and wheels of course as well as all the engine covers (magnesium).  I had forgotten, the normally aspirated motor has the "20-4" designation, the Turbo motor is "14-4" <as it was a 1.4 as opposed to 2.0>.  You would be surprised how many special parts are associated with one of these, I have a catalogue that is about 20 pages that has every nut, bolt, washer, piece listed.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

I seriously doubt that BMW Archives' factory records indicate that a particular car was modified by Schnitzer.  A bona fide Schnitzer car was likely simply a 2002 or 2002ti, or 2002tii when it emerged from the factory.  Schnitzer, not BMW modified it.  Thus, you're looking for Schnitzer records to confirm a Schnitzer-modified car.

It will not answer your question, but you can nonetheless send the car's VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request the information that is in their records.  You will at least get a manufacturing date, the original model, and the original color, all of which might help you confirm the Schnitzer connection.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, you´r very kind!

THANKS for your help!

Francisco

• 1 year later...
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 9:42 AM, Conserv said:

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, Me again,

I finally manage to get the car VIN Number 1687697, but I can not find any related schnitzer info..... any Ideas?.

Regards

Francisco

1 hour ago, Panchitus said:

I finally manage to get the car VIN Number 1687697, but I can not find any related schnitzer info..... any Ideas?.

1687697 left the factory in 1970 and as a 2002ti.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Francisco,

If someone is selling a car they claim is a Schnitzer car, they should have something to back up that claim: journals, ownership history, etc.

Does the car have distinctive Schnitzer equipment, such as 16v head?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)