• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 Tii

Adam Paralta

Year:: 1972

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 15000

Posting this for a long time family friend who is parting with this beauty. His description is below...

The history of the car is as follows:

In the mid-ninetys the car was restored / modified by it's owner, a BMW mechanic and shop owner, as it exists today.  The car was maintained and displayed by him in his shop ( Louie's BMW ) for 15 years.  I had tried to purchase it for many years during this period until I was successful about 5 years ago. It has been in my collection ever since.  I have put less than 500 miles on it during my ownership.  The car has always been garaged and never driven in rain and certainly not in the winter.

Details:

1972 Tii withTurbo flared quarter panels and spoiler ( currently removed )
BMW Factory crate Tii motor with less than 40K miles
Factory sunroof
HRE wheels
Dunlop SP Sport D40M2 tires - P205/50 ZR15 (F), 225/50 ZR15 ®
5 speed Alpina Close Ratio Gearbox
ANSA exhaust
Absolutely NO RUST anywhere
Runs like a watch and drives and handles great ( as you would expect )

The car is located on Cape Cod and he is asking $15k for it. Great guy and a car enthusiast who also owns many 50s, 60s & 70s MG's, Porsches and trucks. For any serious inquiries, please feel free to contact him directly. His name is Steve Cummings. You can reach him by phone (978) 854-2711 or e-mail ( kscummi@yahoo.com )

17095060889_05b682cccd_b.jpgphoto 5 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

16661032083_0be809e030_b.jpgphoto 4 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

17095061989_0e4b9e3332_b.jpgphoto 3-1 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

17073827397_0822255fd7_b.jpgphoto 2 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

17093490388_e38ed566a4_b.jpgphoto 2-1 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

17280757111_9df95c123f_b.jpgphoto 1 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

17093490518_38aea28288_b.jpgphoto 1-1 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

Please post the VIN.  Does it have a clear title?  Please post some images of the interior, engine compartment and chassis.  Too bad it's not the original matching block.

The body kit is somewhat dated That, along with the updated nose, may not be to everyone's taste.  

That said, if it checks out mechanically, seems to be a fair price for what it is.  

If it were mine, I'd get it to the body shop for some original sheet metal or box flares post haste. 

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

As previously stated, it's a restorable '72 sunroof tii -- assuming the VIN checks out. Given current round taillight tii prices, the price is not crazy.

I'd, of course, pull a BMW Archives report on it before I'd pull the trigger. This is going to be a costly project -- nosepiece, fenders, quarters, paint, bumpers, etc. -- on a car that has lost its original engine, so I'd at least want the car to have an original color snappier than Sahara (I'm certain I've just offended all those owners who find their Sahara cars "snappy"! -- I did own one myself if that helps)! Chances of a '72 tii being an original Schwarz car are very slender: the Archives report will immediately clarify the color issue.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: Its VIN, 2760691, verifies it is a '72 model year U.S. tii, probably manufactured between January 15th and 21st, 1972.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As previously stated, it's a restorable '72 sunroof tii -- assuming the VIN checks out. Given current round taillight tii prices, the price is not crazy.

I'd, of course, pull a BMW Archives report on it before I'd pull the trigger. This is going to be a costly project -- nosepiece, fenders, quarters, paint, bumpers, etc. -- on a car that has lost its original engine, so I'd at least want the car to have an original color snappier than Sahara (I'm certain I've just offended all those owners who find their Sahara cars "snappy"! -- I did own one myself if that helps)! Chances of a '72 tii being an original Schwarz car are very slender: the Archives report will immediately clarify the color issue.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: Its VIN, 2760691, verifies it is a '72 model year U.S. tii, probably manufactured between January 15th and 21st, 1972.

I tried looking up the VIN using http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

and it says "No data related to 2760691 was found" I've used this archive successfully in my quest to pick up an 02 so I know it does work well...

Is there a different site you are using?

OP: not high jacking ur FS thread... I am really interest in this car and am trying to get an estimate on undoing the "Testarossa" look, i'll be in touch with your guy soon

Thanks

I tried looking up the VIN using http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

and it says "No data related to 2760691 was found" I've used this archive successfully in my quest to pick up an 02 so I know it does work well...

Is there a different site you are using?...

I keep a list of a few tii VINs with manufacturing dates provided by BMW Archives (VINs and dates collected from the forum). It's easy to estimate manufacturing months of other VINs based on these few known VINs. Although not NEARLY as good as an Archives verification, the best online VIN decoder is the one run by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

If you're interested in buying a particular '02, and you haven't sent the VIN to BMW Archives and requested their data on the car, you're missing a crucial check of the car's origins (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)