• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"New" Italian turn signals?

gargtat

I'm experimenting and have the following on order:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-tii-turbo-Clear-turn-signal-lenses-Assemblies-02-e10-ti-Alpina-/131500421236?hash=item1e9e093074

THESE TURN SIGNALS ARE A DIRECT BOLT IN ON YOUR FENDER, JUST NEED TO UNBOLT THE ORIGINAL ONES AND USE THE SAME ORIGINAL GASKETS.

I'm not expecting great results.

Looks like it is all plastic, even the housing. It will look kind of funny when you open your hood being able to see down in to the unit. Turn signal only, no parking light.

Here is a direct quote from the add:

HOWEVER ARE NOT OEM QUALITY, PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WHOLE UNIT IS MADE OF PLASTIC, EVEN THE HOUSING

I was thinking of getting the all clear ones also. The plan was to tint the rear with an orange side marker tint, then possibly the top with a decent silver. I know, cheap... But when considering the rarity and price of real Italian turns, it might be worth a try. The quality/ craftsmanship of your tape and painting skills will really matter here.

• 3 weeks later...

Another alternative might be to use a clear housing (i have seen these for sale on ebay from time to time) and a pair of the new "switchback" led lamps (will do amber and white light). Can't seem to find any clear lens assemblies right now. Maybe this is a crazy idea...

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I have my doubts if this is the design of the real italian signals. In my opinion and as far as I can remember my visit to Italy about 40 years ago, only the rear quarter (25%) of the signals used to be orange, not 50/50.

But that's all the owner's taste, of course.

Hen

I have my doubts if this is the design of the real italian signals. In my opinion and as far as I can remember my visit to Italy about 40 years ago, only the rear quarter (25%) of the signals used to be orange, not 50/50.

But that's all the owner's taste, of course.

Hen

for comparison, here's a pair of NIB turns currently listed for sale here... http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/166405-nos-italian-turn-signals/

4jofs.jpg

Italian Turn Signals.jpg

Edited by esty

they dont seem like they would be to bad as long as the materiel they are made of (plastic) can stand up to the elements. i would be worried about them fading into some other really ugly color. when the hood is down and your doing 80mph on the 405 they probably look cool.

....when the hood is down and your doing 80mph on the 405 they probably look cool.

Maybe speed IS the key, 'cause they look like cheap crap sitting still.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Here's a close up pic.  

file:///var/folders/l0/bjxps9j53j171wjxyjfy717m0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_5928.jpeg

file:///var/folders/l0/bjxps9j53j171wjxyjfy717m0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1607.jpeg

That didn't work, i'll figure it out and post
Edited by Rusty02