• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I did this a few years ago. You will have to cut the rears carefully making sure you leave enough of the wheel well to weld back onto the fender. Mounting them is pretty straight forward after that. Not doing this is sorta pointless because you'll end up with wide flares with inadequate wheels to fill them.

Are you sure your panels are straight with no bondo? You may end up doing extra bodywork and paint if so. Also, you didn't mention how wide your 15's were or if your car was lowered. 15x8 et0 seems to be the norm for filling up turbo flares. 

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

all of the above.  putting flares on without serious cutting (and welding in the rear) to open the wheel openings is pointless. while the flares themselves are screw on, there is significant bodywork required to make them work.

2xM3

OK this helps a lot.

My tires are 195s wide and the car is not lowered.

With three people in the car the rear rubs. It's already rolled and there is no more space except cutting.

I am still not sure why significant body work is required of I just cut them out and bolt the flares.

Here are few pics that might help

post-48330-0-85943500-1431552465_thumb.j

post-48330-0-19494400-1431552481_thumb.j

post-48330-0-40206000-1431552497_thumb.j

post-48330-0-63405300-1431552518_thumb.j

did you ever post what the offset of your wheels was in your thread about rubbing?  are the tires 195/55 or 195/50?  should be 195/50.

significant bodywork because of the amout of cutting needed.  you are making the openings several inches bigger. and the fact that the rears are double thickness and need the edges welded back together after you cut a bunch of metal off.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Thank you, I understand now. I don't know what is the offset as I don't know where to find that info.

it is stamped on the inside of the wheel.  should say "ET25" if the offset is 25. which it should be. if it is less than that, that is the cause of the wheels rubbing.

2xM3

I just want to say, IMO, it would be a shame to cut your fenders for turbo flares. Your fenders appear to be in great condition.

Have you tried rolling the rear fenders? You can rent the tool from an auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Mine can rub on occasion also. You may be able to pull out the rear quarters a little. Don't ask me how, and I'm not responsible if you break your car.

;)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.