• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build Sheets- Vin Verification for my new 1971 2002

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew what an OP is...

Kit,

You must be old...like me!

OP = original post(er) = StevenSportsCar, in this instance.

Now I'm feeling totally...rad...or bad...or sick!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Interesting that your car has red center tail light lenses and "bulge style" front parking lights--a most unusual combination.  Don't think I've seen a model year '71 with red center tail lights--in fact very few '70s after early model year production had red center lenses.  Also there are no rectangular red reflectors on the rear body panel--again that's unusual for a model year '71 car.  

Anyone else on the board have a car with that high a VIN and red center lenses that can be verified?

cheers

mike

My 72' has red rounds and bulge front parking lights. I had to purchase the 'euro' front lights.

post-44984-0-48157000-1431807037_thumb.j

My 72' has red rounds and bulge front parking lights. I had to purchase the 'euro' front lights.

attachicon.gifIMG_6807.JPG

"...that can be verified" is the most important component of Mike's info request, from my perspective.

Are you the original owner? Is it a U.S. model? You're missing the rear-mounted reflectors, just above the rear bumper.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

As far as we have found out here, the "swan-healse"-mirrors have been installed up to late 69 cars. Followed by the trapezoids 'til early 74 and then the flag style.

I like the flags because they cover a big area of review, but I don't like them because of their size; they are too big in my opinion. The trapeziods are pretty, but only with blue tinted glass and white surrounds. Not with brown glass and black surrounds, no no. They don't show that much backwards, and if you've got old ones, they are not so easy to adjust.

The early styles still show less, but they are the prettiest ones. Absolutely impossible to adjust correctly when installed at the usual position. Located at the front end of the door like very early cars have, the rear bar of the triangle frame blocks the sight. And if they get loose (like mine), they have to be removed, fixed and reinstalled. The installation is a pain somewhere.

But they are the prettiest ones.

Note that they were produced with clear glass and blue tinted glass. Kiva, I still must have one of the clear ones. Wonnit?

Hen

Wow, thank you all for the time and information. I guess this is what it's all about huh? Little background on myself- I opened and operated a Ferrari parts business for a number of years before coming over to Sports Car Market Magazine 3 years ago, so I understand the importance and process of documentations and originality. I want nothing more than this car to be as correct as possible and do not like modifications to fit a 'vision.'

That being said, this is what I have to work with. The mirrors are much more rare and valuable, but I'm willing to sell and swap for the correct ones. I have reason to believe that the euro taillights were also a swap as it does have the US front and rear side markers as pointed out. Still love what's on there currently so might now change right away. 

The center console is the most frustrating. I really would like to button that up to how it came from the factory, but it looks nothing like what I have seen before. I need someone to really look at it and help my identify what's there and would be correct for the application. 

Seats are another issue that I'm going to sort out. My goal is to do a full interior restoration in the fall. It was repainted but color matched near perfectly. The engine bay and front decklid still has original paint and that's how I can tell. 

Driving the hell out of the car! Taking it to Big Sur today for some more beauty shots!

...The center console is the most frustrating. I really would like to button that up to how it came from the factory, but it looks nothing like what I have seen before. I need someone to really look at it and help my identify what's there and would be correct for the application...

You have a fabulous attitude towards your car. Your '71 has certainly found the RIGHT owner!

How about posting a few good photos of your existing console (front and both sides)? Let's see what you really have. You might also want to post a photo or two of your A/C condenser -- visible through the front grilles -- and compressor. This might give us a better sense of the A/C on your car.

As to the correct console, you'll need to decide whether you want/need A/C. If you want A/C -- all '02 A/C was dealer-installed or later -- the Behr unit is easily the most "original" looking. But a Behr A/C may commit you to a "long console" style (of the commonly-known A/C units, only the Frigiking had versions for long and short consoles). If you don't want A/C, the non-A/C consoles are fairly plentiful. An early '71, I believe, had a short console. Stated differently, a short console leaves the gear shift freestanding, as it is currently on your car.

(By the by, the red-center taillights were on all U.S. cars imported up until early in the '70 model year. My September 8, 1969 '70 -- God rest its soul -- had them, and they're still in my spares inventory, dated August 18, 1969. Similarly with the flush front turn signals: they were on all U.S. cars imported up until ???. Although both the red-center taillights and flush front turn signals are often referred to as "Euro," they were also "U.S." in those earlier years!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 1 month later...

Can someone help me, trying to see what my original car color is based on my vin 1672311. Thank you!

Go back to Post #3 of this thread. I tell you how to get the factory data. It's free. It's really easy. But...you must report out to the forum with what you discover: that's the custom!

Good luck,

Steve