• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Möglicherweise kein Versand nach Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika "

OH YEAH! WELL I'M NOT SHIPPING MY STUFF I'M SELLING TO GERMANY!!!

Quite a few won't, actually.. Europe, that is.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

OH YEAH! WELL I'M NOT SHIPPING MY STUFF I'M SELLING TO GERMANY!!!

Sorry, had to vent. Carry on....

It has really been in the last year that the phrase in this thread's title has become "Standard Operating Procedure" for German eBay listings of '02 parts. It makes me wonder what went wrong. U.S. buyers were total jerks? Possible. Shipping issues? Possible. (I've successfully shipped lots of '02 items from Europe -- but one pair of 6x13 Borrani rims got as far as my local Post Office, 1 1/2-mile away, and then disappeared!) Customs issues? Possible. Payment issues? Possible. (Most U.S. banks, here in the heartlands, are not 100% familiar with international wire transfers and bank fees are high.) I suspect the reasons include all of the above, as well as other issues I haven't even imagined!

Sad!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Most U.S. banks, here in the heartlands, are not 100% familiar with international wire transfers and bank fees are high.e

A few years ago I sold some stuff to a guy from the Brit forum. He wanted to wire me the money so I asked Bank of America about international wire transfer fees. They said $15 firm, definitely, written in stone. After the wire transfer settled they yanked $50 or so from my account. I went into the bank and got a bunch of lame excuses that centered around "We never know how much the fees will be." BS, I said, and contacted the Federal Comptroller of Currency. They sent a nasty letter to BOA threatening legal action and at the end I got ALL fees refunded. Victories are sometimes small, but always sweet.

Occasionally the US goverment really does go to bat for the small guy.

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I managed to buy few things from ebay.de by sending a very nice request email to seller in German. Your milage may vary.

And I do likewise for any German purchases, but I generally avoid those sellers who have already constructed a fence by inserting this thread's title!

Regards,

Steve

We have found most Germans very accommodating.  But there remains a segment (a carry-over from the eastern bloc mentality) that cannot cope with the modern world and strive to make things difficult for everyone else. These are the rigid ones you find on ebay. Like Steve said, avoid those sellers, you can't change their mind.

Actually, that sentence means "*Possibly* not shipping to the US", which is equal to saying that the seller did not specifically specify shipping fees to the US. Or Japan. Or Cambodja. Seriously, why would they ?

A simple email will very often solve that perceived problem. Good luck!

Cris

To be some more correct, the word "moglicherweise" means "maybe" or "perhaps" in english, not "possibly". So maybe the seller has no experience or no practice in shipping things far away and simply doesn't know how to handle the shipment.

Just ask. If the reply is not satisfying: forgedded and buy somewhere else.

Hen

Good advice, everyone. I recently purchased a very nice, working Becker Mexico from eBay Germany. The ad explicitly said no shipping to the US. I contacted the seller and he repeated that he would not ship to the US. I thanked the seller and told him how sorry I was since it is the perfect radio for my car. After several days where the number of bids had not increased, the seller contacted me to tell me that he researched shipping to the US and would ship to me if I was the high bidder and would pay the additional shipping costs. I agreed, was the high bidder, and ten days later took delivery of the radio.

In the process the seller sent me more than a dozen notes in German. I used the Google English to German translator being careful to construct my English sentences in simple and direct terms to avoid misunderstandings. This seemed to work well. I have had this experience multiple times with different successful purchases.   

Is it not possible to use PayPal for international transactions?

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

I believe that wording is entered by Ebay, not the Seller.

When I was working in Germany a couple of years ago, I changed my "Ebay shipping address" to the Hotel where I was staying. Prior to that (with my USA address) I would also see that message. Then, when I trolled Ebay USA, I would see the message "the Seller may not ship to Germany".

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Is it not possible to use PayPal for international transactions?

It is possible.  I have encountered many savvy sellers in Europe that accept PayPal.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

It is possible. I have encountered many savvy sellers in Europe that accept PayPal.

+1

There are more international PayPal users every day! I've used it to buy out of South America, Southeast Asia, and even Canada!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

To be some more correct, the word "moglicherweise" means "maybe" or "perhaps" in english, not "possibly". So maybe the seller has no experience or no practice in shipping things far away and simply doesn't know how to handle the shipment.

Just ask. If the reply is not satisfying: forgedded and buy somewhere else.

Hen

Hi, Hen,

I read "moglicherweise" as "perhaps," but I thought that was simply a very polite German way of saying "don't even think about it"!

From now on, I will ask!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv