• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Splitter Fitted - First Show Pictures

larryt

finally got the new "AirDam" on, its not the perfect colour match but it does the job and you get the idea

this is the first picture of it at its first show this season

post-48453-0-54367900-1432029461_thumb.j

Edited by larryt

I was hoping to see a custom splitter design, but what you have here is referred to as an "air dam" or sometimes front spoiler. Image of BMW with splitter below. And yes, those kidneys do look upside down--good catch!

post-36969-0-25367500-1432048263_thumb.j

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

^ You beat me to it! :)

Still, whatever you choose to call it, OP, your car looks great!

'74 Sahara 2002, sunroof/4-spd. (Bought from original owner in 1990)

'66 Mustang Coupe

'70 Mustang Grabber 302

'66 Thunderbird 428 Town Hardtop

maybe its a think in the states compared to over here in the uk, we would call it a splitter or lower spoiler, very rarely do you hear someone refer to it as an airdam but in your defence i have heard it before.

there is a massive difference in car terminology between the UK and USA

Tranny -> Gearbox etc...

True - boot, bonnet, wing, spanner.  But a splitter is a splitter!   :P

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

yes.  the names are based on the aero function and are pretty standard in the racing community around the world.  airdams/spoilers are vetical elements that block (spoil/dam) the airflow from going under the car to reduce lift.  splitters are horizontal elements that literally split the air flow before it gets to the car to smooth the flow under the car by preventing the spill off the bottom of the airdam,  creating downforce.  two distinct and different functions that work together at high speeds.

perhaps the "stance" community incorrectly blurs the references because it is all about a look rather than any real function.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

"Perhaps the "stance" community incorrectly blurs the references because it is all about a look rather than any real function."

I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning as I was sitting on the splitter...

COOP

maybe its a think in the states compared to over here in the uk, we would call it a splitter or lower spoiler, very rarely do you hear someone refer to it as an airdam but in your defence i have heard it before.

Tranny -> Gearbox etc...

It's an air dam in proper English too, and a splitter is someone who changes political allegiance as well as a lower portion of an air dam designed to split the air horizontally. Whatever side of the pond! 

Nick

Judean Peoples Front

(formerly of the People's Front of Judea)

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg