• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB; spare tire nut & bracket

stephers

Hi,

I am looking for a spare tire hold down bracket and wheel nut for a 72 2002tii. This is about 4" long, channel shaped material and an open steel wheel nut to hold it in place. Condition needs to be OK, not perfect, I will be glass beading them and powdercoating them.

I also need the U shaped rubber surround that goes around the ign switch and fits into a cutout in the steering cloumn cover

Best to let me know at  alfaspider1969@gmail.com

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

The nut used is simply a spare lug nut, exactly as you would use on the factory steel rims. They are probably still available new from BMW. As to the hold-down clamp, are you looking for the clamp that secures the rim and the lug wrench simultaneously? Those, in my experience, are very rare! Or are you looking for the clamp that secures only the rim? Those are rare, but less rare than the other pre-square taillight clamp!

The square taillight uses one clamp on the jack and lug wrench (above the floor board) and a separate disc-style hold-down for the spare tire (below the floor board). A "drop down" center fits precisely into the spare rim's center bore. I only mention the latter because it actually works perfectly to hold down the early OEM alloy spare in my '73; the original style clamp will "mar" one of these alloy rims. I haven't, however, tried the square taillight disc-style hold-down on an original steel rim. I wish I could show you a photo but the car's not here. This obviously wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it might keep things in order until you find the correct clamp.

Good luck and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)