• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wtb: front grill black slat covers & kidney grill

Mad1602

As a backup, black anodized covers for the grille slats are available new from BMW (in sets of 7 to do one side-grille per set).

You can obviously do whatever you wish, but 1600-2s and 1602s -- I suspect your username reflects your car -- came from the factory without black-paint or black covers on the front grille slats: just fresh anodized aluminum!

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, thank you, that's great info.

Thanks for the advice on the period correct grill. I like the look of the blacked out grill, so I'm considering the change.

Cheers!

Understood! In '75-'76, I was considering doing the same to my '67 1600-2 but I sold the '67 and bought my '76 before I came to a decision!

Besides my personal views on modification and restoration changing dramatically during these past 40 years, the additional comment I would add today is the following: in 1975, a 1600-2 was largely just a "poor man's 2002" whereas in 2015, the 1600-2 and 1602 have, I believe, attained a "special niche" status within the larger '02 family. There is consequently more appreciation of those things that make a 1600-2/1602 different, whether it be the engine's short stroke, the 4.11 differentials, or, yes, even the all-anodized front grilles!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)