• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 restoration questions and shops

Subdewd

Hi,

First time posting here and haven't really had a chance to browse through the forum much yet.  I'm trying to find out some information and reputable shops that do 2002 restorations.  My parents are the original owners of a 1972 BMW 2002.  They no longer drive it or have space for it, so I'm looking at keeping it in the family and restoring it.  It was a car from my childhood and one of the cars that I learned to drive with.

I think it's in decent condition for a car that is over 40 years old.  It's white with black interior at the time (a special order from what I understand).  Paint is cracking on the hood and there interior has some tears in the seats and cracks in the dash.  I faintly remember having the engine replaced after an unusually cold winter hit.  My parents brought the car over from Germany and it spent several years in California and then has remained in Oregon.  I suspect the car is in good shape with respect to rust because they don't use salt in Oregon and the car has almost always been garaged.  

As stated, the car is in Oregon, but I'm in Virginia.  I don't have the time nor the skills to restore the car myself as a project.  I am interested in restoring it to a mostly original condition, but definitely would entertain adding a bit more HP and safety to the car.  The end goal would be to keep it in the family, make it safe and fun (sporty) to drive on the weekends/fair weather.  

Can anyone point me in the direction of reputable shops that they know of or have personally dealt with?  I don't know if there are any in the Oregon or Virginia area, but I understand that I may have to entertain getting it to another area to have this done right.  I also understand there are many variables, but what would a ballpark be for cost for something like this?  Thanks!

Pretty broad scope there. Can you narrow that down a bit? So far you've got this:

- Adding HP

- Safety

- Original condition

- fair wx / weekend driver

- sporty

Thats roughly 4,734,289 combinations of paint, suspension, engine mods, wheels, interior fabric, lighting, shop etc.

Well, maybe not that many but you know what I mean...

Edited by Roundeie

In Portland there is Boyd Motorworks who can at least give you a good vehicle inspection, there's also German Master Tech in Bend.   Both Oregon-based shops have come across as competent when I have talked with them.  Lastly there's Patrick at Midnight Motorsports in Seattle, he's a one man shop and is typically pretty booked (for good reason).  You may want to contact Byron (user name Preyupy) and TobyB here one the FAQ for more northwest perspective.

Just bear in mind that for a decent %100 shop-commissioned restoration your starting at around 50k-60k and it can go up from there.  Concours jobs are now over 100k.  

If you want to wrap your head around how extensive it can get, clear a couple hours and take a look over jgerock's restoration .... http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/120951-2002ti-wannabe-project-begins/ .  

You might want to seriously consider having the car shipped to VA so you can be more "hands on" involved in any work performed on it--and be able to do at least some of the things yourself.  02s are pretty easy to work on and getting some of the systems working (presuming they need work) such as lights, horn, wipers, removing seats for reupholstery etc will be a whole lot cheaper for you to do the work rather than a shop.  And you'll learn a lot about the car while you're doing it--that's part of the fun of 02 ownership.  Also, there's lots of help available on the FAQ if you run into snags--and lots of 02ers in the Mid-Atlantic area.

Before shipping the car, have a shop in Oregon check out the car and tell you what needs to be done to make it (1) driveable and safe and (2) look nice again.  Then you'll know what you're getting into before the car comes to VA.

Don't be shy about asking for help/advice on the board, lotsa expertise here, and helpful FAQ members.  Welcome to the fraternity/sorority.  And BTW, you're not the only second generation owner on the FAQ.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

John Estep in Broadway VA (near Harrisonburg, in the Shenandoah Valley ) has been restoring 2002s for >30 years.  I don't know what his schedule allows/turnaround time, but give him a call - he's weak about getting back to you via email.  http://www.bmwservicebroadwayva.com/

There is also a shop in WV, not far from northern VA, that turns out very nice results - Paul Rose at Vintage Motor Car Company LLC in Inwood, WV (about an hour away from DC). (304) 821-1326.

http://www.vintagemotorcarco.com/

You should also consider the great shop, Sports Car Restoration, in CT:

http://sports-car-restoration.com/

123 Whiting St. Unit J

Plainville,CT 06062
860 793 2002
Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

As these cars are actually getting rarer (not "rare") on the East Coast, more are undergoing total restoration. As they say, a car is only original once. Get a really good synopsis of how bad the rust is. If it is not structural or can be easily fixed, my 2 cents would be to keep the body as original as possible, limit rust removal to local issues, and restore the interior and mechanicals to your tastes. $7-10K for a driver quality bare metal paint job with some rust repair would not be unusual.

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

If you want to split the coasts, you might call BMW guru, Terry Sayther in Austin, Texas.  He just opened at vintage BMW resto shop to augment his long-standing BMW repair shop.

I posted this just last week...

I have the pleasure to pass along the following information from noted South Austin BMW guru, Terry Sayther; please join me in welcoming their new shop www.vintagebimmers.com

BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENT!!

YOU are among the first to know that our new baby is here and is named Vintage Bimmers! Terry Sayther and Debbie Stuart tried retirement and found it insufficiently stimulating----hence, they and General Manager Brandon Littleton have started a new company, Vintage Bimmers, to do project, modification, and restoration work on classic BMWs!

Complete and partial restorations, engine overhauls, engine upgrades, fuel injection, 5-speed conversions, bigger brakes, modern seats…if you can dream it, we can do it.

And we are already doing it---we have two big projects underway. Two 2002 engine conversions, of all things.

So, visit our website, www.vintagebimmerS.com, and keep visiting since there will be frequent changes. Our Facebook page will be up soon and we'll also have an email newsletter --- you should sign up for that!

Terry has been working on 2002s since 1977 and they still get him excited. And they said he had a short attention span.

Terry Sayther
Vintage Bimmers
terndeb@saytherauto.com
Terry Sayther Automotive
512-442-1361

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

... $7-10K for a driver quality bare metal paint job with some rust repair would not be unusual.

As long as you're not then tempted to replace any of those old trim pieces -- which look even duller with the new paint -- and the windshield -- which is covered with tiny tiny chips -- or the rear glass -- which stopped defrosting ten years ago....

How do you say in English, "slippery slope"? You are re-painting the rims, of course? And what's the DOT date on those tires? Can't leave that tear on the driver's seat -- it will only get worse -- and those 40-year-old suspension and subframe bushings are downright unsafe, not to mention the brakes....

Even if you're going to SOLELY replace what absolutely needs re-painting or repairing, you are lying to yourself if you think you're going to hire someone to make the car safe, dependable, and good-looking for less than $20K-$30K! Given your car's family history, it may well be worth it to you. But go in with your eyes open!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Paul Rose at Vintage Motor Car Company LLC in Inwood, WV. (304) 821-1326.  www.vintagemotorcarco.com

I have personal experience with this shop and the co owner,  Paul Rose.  This is a honest, family run business.  Paul's attention to detail is amazing.  I wont trust my car to anyone else.  You cant go wrong with this facility.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

How do you say in English, "slippery slope"? You are re-painting the rims, of course? And what's the DOT date on those tires? Can't leave that tear on the driver's seat -- it will only get worse -- and those 40-year-old suspension and subframe bushings are downright unsafe, not to mention the brakes....

Even if you're going to SOLELY replace what absolutely needs re-painting or repairing, you are lying to yourself if you think you're going to hire someone to make the car safe, dependable, and good-looking for less than $20K-$30K! Given your car's family history, it may well be worth it to you. But go in with your eyes open!

Regards,

Steve

Dewd -

I can speak to the "slippery slope" aspect.  We also have a car that has a family connection.  Lisa's dad bought it new, and she learned to drive a stick in it (and he also made a pretty sweet tool box for it).  We got to a "save it vs. sell it" point a couple of years ago, and Sputter underwent a complete restoration.

I can give you more specific advice privately, but, publicly, I have a few questions for you about your goals (and a few comments after that):

- Have you seen one that is just like you would like your car to be (and know what has been done to it)?

- How much sentimental value could you retain by selling the car, and buying the one you have seen just like you like?

- Can you afford to be way, way wrong on your best estimate of cost?

I joked with the Werk Shop when we started that I would be better off buying the best Fjord blue tii in the world and putting my father-in-law's tool box in it (the "Face/Off strategy" I called it).  It turns out I was right.

That being said, if your marriage and your wallet can afford (or at least survive) it, having a family connection to a great example of the car is really satisfying (particularly after you invest some time learning to fix the things that the shop didn't do right).  I end up averaging a conversation about 2002's about every other time I drive it, and get an offer to buy it about once a week.

For the record, its not for sale.

Edited by kaptanoglu

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Thanks everyone for the information!  It's a tough decision.  I'd love to keep the car, but there are some challenges with it.  I'm in the military, so I will be moving around, and as much as I want to keep the car, I just don't know if it's practical.  Plus, I'm not sure if it's something that I want to tackle financially as well.  Unfortunately, my parents are moving and won't be able to keep it much longer, so I have to gather as much info as possible quickly to decide what I want to do.  I'm sure I could drop a couple of thousand it it to get it running in good shape and not sorry about any cosmetics etc.  Thanks again for all of the advice thus far.

I am the second owner of my car. A guy bought it from an old lady and wanted to build a drifter. After about 24 hrs, decided against it, and sold it to me, no papers had been filed. 

I restored the car, and even though it´s not in the family, it brings joy to another family now. Maybe that could be enough for your car as well? Keeping it in the family is nice, but the important part is that the car brings joy and happiness to whoever owns it. You could however, get it running OK-ish relatively cheap, and drive it for a while, before you decide. You will probably get your money back because the car goes to "runs and drives" from "stored for 25 years". 

I just got a 2002tii and I am in he process of getting it up and running. I live in the NYmetro/ ct region. Does anyone have shop they would reccomend/ trust worth who don't gouge, where I can get it restored.

As stated above:

Sports Car Restoration, in Plainville, CT

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)