• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 restoration questions and shops

Subdewd

I too am in the military (Army Warrant Officer) and 'travel' quite a bit.  I suggest you find an inexpensive storage solution and or friend/family member that can store it until you are ready and/or more stable.  As you grow older the desire to have/restore THAT car will increase.  You'll likely never be able to get THAT car back. Just my $0.02

Invest in precious metal - BMW 2002!

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

?..I suggest you find an inexpensive storage solution and or friend/family member that can store it until you are ready and/or more stable.  As you grow older the desire to have/restore THAT car will increase.  You'll likely never be able to get THAT car back. Just my $0.02

Invest in precious metal - BMW 2002!

If you can get the car mechanically sorted out, if there are no glaring rust issues, you should be able to drive it, and restore it later when you have more time, skills, money.

One other note, you can make these safER, but not really safe by current standards. Modern rubber will greatly improve stopping distances, improve the lighting so that you can see/be seen and a good going over will ensure that steering/suspension work as designed, but it will never be a modern car. I drive Sputter quite a bit (7K in the last year), but am still a bit nervous around the drinking, texting lunatics we have in Houston.

I hope that you are able to hang onto it.

J

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

$7-10K for a driver quality bare metal paint job with some rust repair would not be unusual.

I'd love to find that guy!!  I would estimate 2-3X that figure for a "bare metal paint job with some rust repair" these days...

COOP