• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 - What's it Worth?

bimman

Year:: 1972

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 3200

Came across this '72 2002 on Craigslist. Seller claims it's rust-free and has been garage-kept. The pictures are pretty rough but seems to be in good condition for the price.

My biggest concern is the front end given that cutouts for the late-model bumper mounts are clearly visible in the first picture. It also looks (to my novice eye) like the grill is late-model (rather than just blacked out) because the kidney beans look like early-model trim shoved onto a late-model grill.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, who can hopefully provide some insight. Curious to hear people's thoughts on it's condition and what it might be worth.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5063654606.html

post-48650-0-09096100-1433759679.jpg

Edited by bimman

Originally Verona with what looks like a cheap white overspray job. Owner could have at least opened the garage door to take their pictures. Rushed ad- very poorly done. Proceed with caution!

I agree with Jim. And you're right about the nosepiece. The car probably also acquired at least '73-style bumper overriders (maybe with its new nose), since VIN 2582214 strikes me as a '72 model year car. Front seats are '75-'76 style, as are door cards. Given the truly awful quality of the photos -- also pointed out by Jim -- and the actual choice of images -- fuse box sticker? -- I'd guess the seller knows absolutely nothing about '02s. That could be a blessing, but is more likely a curse!

I'd assume it has rust and was stored outdoors until it was proven otherwise! The sunroof is great, but recall that clogged drains make the rocker panels in sunroof cars particularly prone to rust.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Are you local to the ad? I'm from Virginia Beach. This car isn't too far from me.

Like others have said, late nose panel. Cheap looking paint job, upside down kidney grill, and the seller didn't even take pics of the areas of most concern...shock towers, rockers, etc. I doubt it has "no rust," but I'd still check it out in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Appreciate all the input, you all are a treasure trove of info. I agree the seller has done a sloppy job at best putting together the ad, which as Conserv mentions, could be a good or bad thing. 

@ jmr_1602 Thanks for offering to check it out for me. I grew up in the area so used to be local but I now live in the DC area.

I really like the look of the early noses, probably more than the roundie vs. square debate, so I think this one's a no-go for me unless the prices comes down even further with time.