• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right/pax front bearing is worn for the 3rd time

Koblenz

Yeah, that ain't normal.  Are you getting them too tight?  They wanna be 'almost loose' or 'just loose'

They can run loose for quite a while, but tightening them up as tight as a domestic car's will

kill the outer in short order.

Pix of dead bearings?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hey guys.  Actually the adjustment has been good. Until tight, then backing off just enough to slide the "washer" slightly. I would understand the lack of proper adjustment if it were myself but, I have a seasoned mechanic to confirm it. It only occurs on the right side.  Which is suspect. The adjustment  is the same for both. The spindle isn't bent.  They were inspected before the install and brand new.

Well seated and race replace.

The worn factor is perhaps an incorrect descriptor.  After a period of time (15-2k miles or so) the rotor can be "rocked". 

Could it be the rotor?

I tightened/ adjusted it again today.  It was loose. 

Appreciate the help. 

Also, if I recall, the spec for wheel bearing free play is 'just a little'- as in, 2mm at the edge of the tire, or something like that.

So just a little 'klunk' is actually just right.

On track cars, if it didn't 'klunk' at all, I loosened them, because they'd burn themselves otherwise...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Right front bearing?  Are you running NASCAR ? ...Shake and Bake  :)

...sorry, couldn't help  myself. 

Good to read from the gurus about not running them too tight. The proper "feel" of front wheel bearings goes hand-in-hand with the drag on the feeler gauge when adjusting valves.  Sometimes it's difficult to express in words...

I have 15" wheels and wide tires and I check my front bearings on a regular basis.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I am putting my '69 VW back on the road.  Frozen wheel cylinders have been replaced, the shoes slightly skuffed, and she stops like she ought to. :)   

While working on the passenger side I noticed that the seal looked a little funny, so I took a closer look at that bearing and saw that the race had some pitting, so I tapped in a new one, and installed a new inner bearing (along with a new seal).

I adjusted them with the faintest little wiggle and went for a test drive.

The side with new bearings came back WAY loose.  I must not have completely seated the race.

I readjusted both sides and since then, they have held that perfect little clunk of a wiggle.

If you have a seal that looks like this, you might want to replace it.

003.jpg

I assume you are cleaning all the old grease out of the hub?  

Mine likely had bits of gasket spring in it.