• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM Guibo Nut Question

Do the current OEM guibo nuts come as self-locking (all metal) or ny-lock?

I don't want to order if they are ny-lock as I can get the same high quality brands locally.

My local BMW parts guy says "you get what comes".  He's very knowledgable, but BMW Germany can't be trusted.

Thanks for reading and replying.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hey everybody, thanks.

I will stick with the ny-locks for now with an extra dose of Locktite Blue, and regular inspection. For some reason I just don't trust the ny-lock in a high performance role.

I must find a local supplier of all metal lock nuts. I'm sure there should be something in my neighbourhood.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I always order part number 07 12 9 964 611. In the past, this has had a 16mm head INSTEAD of the 17mm head. Allows for more room to swing the wrenches! ;) 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I always order part number 07 12 9 964 611. In the past, this has had a 16mm head INSTEAD of the 17mm head. Allows for more room to swing the wrenches! ;)

+1.  I only use the OEM stuff on these critical parts and have not had an incident of anything becoming loose.  I have heard of others who have used nylon lock nuts and they have worked loose (possibly due to the close proximity to the exhaust pipe).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I always order part number 07 12 9 964 611. In the past, this has had a 16mm head INSTEAD of the 17mm head. Allows for more room to swing the wrenches!

Now that's the answer I was originally looking for. I guess I should have posed my question better.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

WayDuhMinit .... head size equates to more wrench-swinging room ??   :huh:

I'll thrown down the hijack flag with a hearty "I don't think I wanna believe that" ......  <_<

Cheers,

Carl

It's true Carl. You use a 16mm wrench on the BMW nuts.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

In some cases, the 16mm hex of the alternate nut allows for use of the BOX END of the wrench, whereas a 17mm is simply too large to get around the original nuts with anything but the open end, especially near the flange areas. Been using them for 20 years, on dozens of 02s. Less stress for my hands, my knuckles, and the fasteners. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

:blink:   makes no sense to me, but that's because I've only changed a guibo 3 times.  Hence I'm totally lacking in any experience other than remove/replace of original equipment ..... and I'm lacking any long-term memory of such activity.  Same as the nuts & bolts securing the back-end of the driveshaft to the final drive:  on my '74tii I have removed/replaced only 1 driveshaft, ever.

Amazing !!

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner