• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long neck diff mount

Hans

I didn't think it was supposed to move at all, other than a small amount due to compressing the rubber mounts.  That's why there are CV-jointed axles in the back, since the diff is rigidly mounted to the body and thus isn't unsprung weight.   The rubber mounts are just to prevent diff noise from being transmitted to the car body.

Seems to me if you can push up and down on the diff and see it move more than a couple of mm, that's too much.  Speaking from theory, not practical experience with a longneck, but they work the same as a short neck diff as far as how it's mounted to the body. 

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike

Just checked realoem. Weird. It shows long neck diff alone with one rear mounting ear; but mounting parts show bracket with two mounts a la short neck. Now I have a 2000CS, which may be different. Perhaps 2002 didn't have single mount with long neck.

Where old long necks go to die. I see the dreaded early half shafts! I'm rebuilding my fifth one.

Thanks for the pix. Appears 1600/2002 long necks use different rear cover than NK models. I'll see if someone can help on NK forum. Mount appears to cross ref to early six cyl. models.

The rear mount for a NK model has only one pickup point.

The rear mount for a 02 model has the same as the short neck.

It is a simple process to change from one to another.

Just change the rear cover. G