• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have designed a rear spoiler that fits all 2002s and I need 02 owner's support to produce. I have cut and pasted many different rear spoiler to finally come up with the prototype that I want to produce. The process involve 3d scanning, perfecting the symetry, and producing it using ABS material. I need to make at least 300 of them for it to be cost effective and I am quite sure there are many of you that have been looking for something better than the ones that exsit in the market. I am trying to raise fund to make it happen through indiegogo.com. Click the link bellow and you will agree that this is what 02s need to be more awesome than they already are. This is my first fundraising effort and I have no clue of how to promote it. I need your support even if it is as simple as reviewing the site please click link bellow to go to the fundraising site to help and we all will benefit.

All comments are welcome!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rear-spoiler-for-1969-1976-bmw-2002#/story

I would suggest posting more/better pictures of your design.  

This is an internet forum and I will be corrected if others think i'm wrong, but I think the above-posted comment relates to FAQ tending to have more of a "purist's" perspective?  This is most certainly THE site for 2002s... whether they are 100 point, concours trailer-queens, or heavily modded street machines; but your spoiler design appears to fall to the short end of the bell curve of cars here and may not appeal to everyone.  Who knows, though? 

Post more pics!  And what's the story with your Roundie tail lights?  How'd you do that?

Good luck to you!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Hi, thanks for the positive feedback. I thought a 2002 forum would be a site to seek help from the fellow 02 owners where else should I have gone?

Honda

I say that not to be negative but to help if this is a profit seeking venture.

Same reason you don't see fuzzy dice with a Roundel, different crowd.

I do encourage you for trying though. Maybe start a thread asking what ABS parts are wanted.

I would buy a front lip spoiler like this that was one piece and made to fit our cars if it doesn't already exist

IMG_2781_zpsdoevavpy.jpg[/

Offer two versions, one like above and one that starts just below the grill and curves back following factory contour ending in a small duck bill spoiler

for cars that are badly rusted out or damaged in this area.

Get lots of feed back first because I only need one

Edited by Fatherof3

I like your enthusiasm but coming from a production background, I'm sure you know the killing point on this is your personal requirement for this to be made from ABS.  

As you know ABS molds are very cost prohibitive for smaller volume parts.  While it may be a case of swallowing a hard pill because ABS is neat, I think your best hope for bringing something like this to life would be to use fiberglass (roughly estimated it would be 1/3 the cost).

Edited by AceAndrew

I've run a similar rear wing on my 02 for over 17 years. (pre-ricer scene, it's actually inspired by the tail on the original M3). But my 02 isn't everyone's cup of tea - it's MINE ;-). I really like that it doesn't look like yours (and yours and yours).

It's made of reinforced fiberglass, and part of a body kit still offered by BMP Design for the 02 - and they sell the kit parts separately. (air dam, sills, valence, wing).

FAQ has lots of 'keep it original' types, but also a wide range of other 02 enthusiasts too. It's funny but the long timers tend to be more accepting of differences than a lot of newbies are. That said, the demand for 02 body parts is rather small - most go with the Turbo adds-ons if any, maybe a different air dam, with box or pig-cheek flares being the rarer exceptions. I really doubt trying to raise $50k to produce a new ABS wing will bear much fruit...

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Thank you for all comments. I am not very good at this so I am going to make a general respond to all comments I have received so far.

1- I have some pictures at idniegogo but for some reason they don't show. I need to figure it out.

2- Contrary to fuzzy dice, this spoiler will enhance the look of any 2002s. I have cut and wasted many spoilers before I came up with this design. The problem is that it is still a prototype and not a final finish.

3- Fiberglass is a wrong choice and more expensive.  Almost all spoilers are made of ABS because they are more durable and cheaper to produce.

4- I spent over 100 hrs and many dollars to design and build the tail lights.

I've watched many attempts at "group buys" here, which is a bit akin to trying to gauge demand for 300 spoilers. There's lots of enthusiasm for the best "products," followed by a struggle to get 10 people to commit, followed by at least 5 of those people evaporating before the product even appears. Feel free to call me a wet blanket -- I've been called far worse -- but coming up with 300 buyers for one particular style of spoiler, other than the factory turbo spoiler, is highly unlikely!

Separate and apart from my above comments on '02 products in general, I, an '02 owner for 42 years, believe the taste for '02 rear spoilers is waning -- not that it was ever particularly strong. Other indicators suggest to me that visible '02 body mods/add-ons are simply not as desired today as they once were. The only thing that stopped most of us from adding fender flares in the '70s and '80s was our bank accounts. Now I sense a discomfort among many '02 owners not only with adding fender flares, but even pulling fenders and rolling fender lips. Most owners want to fit the largest possible tire and rim combination under DEAD STOCK fenders. And the most common body mods I see in the U.S. tend to be stripping off U.S.-spec features -- side marker lights, big bumpers, etc. -- to pare the '02 down to its simpler, sleeker European version. And a rear spoiler simply doesn't fit that vision.

Enjoy your spoiler, enjoy your car. But think darned hard before you commit a lot of capital to this venture!

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve thanks for the input. As you have noticed I am testing the market before I take the next step. With all the 02 out there and most of them not in original condition I am counting on a few owners that may want to enhance and upgrade the look of their 02s so that their kids may find it cool enough to get in one. My son is in love with this wide body and keeps bugging me to finish it so he can put it on the road. He picked the color I was going to paint it white!

Feel free to give post more comments/feedbacks.

Well...

Consider that this spoiler is only of optical effect, especially in the US. Here in Germany are certain autobahn sections where you can drive as fast as your car can, if the traffic allows it. But spoiler or not, a stock 320diesel with more than 180hp and a way less air resistance than an 02 drives you around your ears and the driver will laugh because of the spoiler that's only of very little effect. I've read that it's only of use above 160kmh or 100mph.

Think about that it has to be as light as possible. Otherwise the trunk lid springs won't hold it open. I've seen several cars with Zender rubber spoilers that are too heavy and the owners had to put a broomstick between lid and trunk bottom. Not very attractive.

People are different- and so are their tastes. But if you asked me, I couldn't imagine to find enough guys who are willing to install such a huge counter on their cars. If you find them, they are probably far away- consider worldwide shipping, safe wrapping and so on.

I've already shown this pic:

post-42081-0-17183900-1434749914_thumb.j

But this is an extreme guy and not the average 02-driver.

Anyway, 10p for your enthusiasm and engagement, but think carefully about, sleep some more nights and collect more opinions before you start a minusaction.

Regards,

Henning

technically, that's not a spoiler, that's a wing.  Or a rear window clearing device if you mounted it on the back edge of the roof...

t

post-32364-0-77605700-1434751735_thumb.j

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3- Fiberglass is a wrong choice and more expensive.  Almost all spoilers are made of ABS because they are more durable and cheaper to produce.

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.  I would be happy to help you out but I'm not going to force you to listen, feel free to PM.

I know exactly what it's like to get completely drawn into a project and feel a little miffed when people don't fully appreciate it.

Edited by AceAndrew

AceAndrew-What is it that you want me to listen to? I am all ears. I am willing to try anything. The spoiler looks vey nice on my 02 I wish it was painted and mounted so I could post some pictures.

TobyB. -What ever you call it, it is designed to make the car look sportier, some like it some don't. So far anyone that have seen it in person has liked it but remember that it is just a rough prototype and not a finished product so it does not look as good in picture.

Henning: -Here in the US we see Lamborginis, Ferraris, Porches, etc.. with all kinds of wings and spoilers and they are also subject to low speed linits here but it did not deter the manufacturer from buying them and the owner from buying them.

That said, yes it is all about the look, these 02s are over 40 years old and they can't compete with any of the newer cars anymore anyway.