• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I say if you like it, go for it, it's your car.  Personally, I don't care for the look.  If it actually aided performance, I'd be interested.  But most wings (including the BMP version made for our cars) are mounted too low to actually get in to the airflow for performance.  A rear deck spoiler might help break the airflow at the back of the car to decrease drag, and the nicest rear spoiler I've seen is the one made by Dave Pineda, which looks like the CSL that actually wraps around at the corner of the decklid.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Well, so far I have encountered a bunch of nay sayers with no constructive suggestions. I the first blogger suggested I must have come to a wrong place! I'll try another venue. Thanks for all your comments.

Correction:

Well, so far I have encountered a bunch of nay sayers with no constructive suggestions. As the first blogger suggested I must have come to a wrong place! I'll try another venue. Thanks for all your comments.

Well, so far I have encountered a bunch of nay sayers with no constructive suggestions. I the first blogger suggested I must have come to a wrong place! I'll try another venue. Thanks for all your comments.

Correction:

Well, so far I have encountered a bunch of nay sayers with no constructive suggestions. As the first blogger suggested I must have come to a wrong place! I'll try another venue. Thanks for all your comments.

not trying to be a "nay sayer", but if you didn't want our opinions, thought, ideas, suggestions, etc, you shouldn't have brought it to this forum

i surmise that you're skin isn't thick enough to do what you're trying to do & for this crowd....maybe a honda forum would wortk better for you

All comments are welcome!

have you lurked here for a while to know the background of some of the folks who have commented?  there is a lot of experience there that you are not "welcoming".

here is the basic marketing problem.  the audience/ target market analysis

of the limited number of 2002 owners total, subtract

-the purists....no mod is acceptable

-the performance junkies....no good unless it makes car go faster.  this product adds nothing

-the period correct modifiers.....your product is more late model jap car in nature

-the cheap asses......vast majority of 02 owners fit in this category.  looks like your part is going to be expensive.  if they can't buy it used for $10 shipped, no sale.

you are left with a market size of about 3 people.  not a good business proposition.

then you just ask for "donations"  to raise $50k.  yikes.   do investors get some return? own part of the company?  are guaranteed  xx number of the deck lid decorations?  zero info.

you asked for comments, and you got a bunch of good ones in amonst some jeers.  if you are going to start a business, you need to be able to take it all in.

just some thoughts....

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Looks like you guys missed the "constructive" part of my comments. And mlytle I do offer an actual spoiler for people who donate $225 which I think is close to what it would cost to make one. If you guys check the market you will realize that the moded 02s bring much more money than most original one. Don't take my word for it check eBay and search and click on "sold".

I am not trying to make any money doing this, I just thought there would be enough 02 owners to want a spoiler like this that's all.

I can tell you I would pay $0 extra for a car fitted with that spoiler. If a car I saw and wanted to buy was fitted with it, I would be thinking how to remove it with the least cost and effort.

Modifications (particularly styling ones) are a personal taste, the fact that not everyone agrees with you as to its beneficial impact on the car will show what a small market there is .

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

There are about 5000 02s left in Iran and the market would appear similar to Germany in the eighties, when spoilers, wings and wide bodies were de rigeur. The market here in Europe has since matured and I reckon your product would be even less popular than the reception you've had in the States as the highest values are dictated by originality. 

So you better have a word in congress about your trade sanctions!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

If you guys check the market you will realize that the moded 02s bring much more money than most original one. Don't take my word for it check eBay and search and click on "sold".

ISS33 come on this has got to be a wind up, who do you think knows values of these cars if not this community, it is after all probably the best online!

Top $$$ does not come via eBay, can't take this for real as you are way off with many of your comments.

When someone from Ireland (and that's not the country) tells you that you are dreaming, you'd be better off listening.....

Now off for my coffee, (grumpy old fart) in my shitty, low value, standard 02.....

I'm not a purist by any means.  I'm working on a resto modded 75 that will look more on the period correct side than not.  I took a look at the pictures on Indiegogo and it looks like a wing from the 90s grafted to a car from the 70s, not something I would purchase.  

I have backed over 40 campaigns between Kickstarter and Indiegogo.  Looking at your campaign I would never back it.  At the moment the campaign just looks and feels like it was done in a very short amount of time with very little effort. I'm not saying this to be mean.  I have read through hundreds of campaign to which I can compare yours.  Another red flag is your choice of "flexible funding".  You will receive any money raised even if you don't meet the 50k goal.  If you raise a few thousand dollars those people are going to be very disappointed when they receive nothing. I have been pretty lucky, out of all the campaigns I have backed only 3 were busts for one reason or another.

I'm fairly new to the forum.  I'm getting back into 02s after owning 3 many years ago.  In the short time I've been on this board I've learned there are many nice people who are more than willing to share their vast knowledge.  I would really suggest you take some time to digest what you are being told.  Might not be what you want to hear but at least go forward on your campaign with your eyes wide open.

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

Hi everyone.

I finally received some constructive feedbacks. Thanks KenH. I will correct the indiegogo format, I am new to it and really not good at marketing anyway but I am a work in progress. As far as the spoiler is concerned I am not ready to quit yet. If all inventors listened to nay sayers nothing would be invented. I don't mind critisism but I expected much better advise that I have recieved so far. Most of them I could get from people on the street and ordinary people.

Original 02s are for collectors, you only see them in garages and shows. They are not very practical for everyday driving and not appealing to general public. What good is a car if it is only exites to older generation. My son who owns and drives a e46 and a restored e28 (535is) keeps nagging me about this car and actually wants me to paint the prototype spoiler and mount it so he could drive it.

For every Original Pure Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, VWs on the road there are tens of 1000s of the new moldels why, because the old one ares not practical anymore and definately not a daily driver.

I love 02s as much as most of you. Presently there are 2 of them in my yard, one in the garage and one in a paint shop, I have bought, restored and sold 100s of them over the past 35 years I know where they shine and what their flaws are, Since BMW did not do what Ford, GM and Chrysler and VW did. I took it upon myself to give one of my neglected old beauty a fresh look.

I started with the wide body kit, LED tail lights, Halo fitted headlights, rear bucket seats, front bucket seat, larger and wider rims (I called Ireland for advise for this mod), stereo head units with Blue Tooth, sub woofer and off course AC and many little things here and there that we could not have dreamed of in 60s and 70s. With that combination and the rear spoiler with built in 3rd brake light, this car would be a unique beautiful modern version of the 02s that we all love. Something that does not appeal only to older generation.

NickVyse Wow 5000 02s in Iran Alone! I am very much surprised. FYI, the idea of sending any of them there never crossed my mind. Do you know how many of them are in the U.S.? Apparenty the market is much larger than I thought!

Sydneytii Member from Irland is entitle to his opinion and I don't recall insalting him.

Original BMWs are hard to come by and not much of a thrill to own one either, any new car beats them in acceleration, top speed and comfort including the turbo and tii. Restoring an old neglected beat up one and bringing it to new standard is an art that requires a lot of passion. This O.F likes to change with time and change things that don't make sense and that's what I have done to this orange beauty. Driving a "standard 02" on the streets is like wearing skin tight bell bottoms and shirts, been there done that but its history now.

Please don't get me wrong, iss. But it seems to me that good advise for you is only good advise if it tells you to go for it. You've asked the entire forum, so me, too- and I'm anxious that you may lose a lot of money if you won't find enough buyers.

Just rise a test balloon. Make one handmade spoiler or three or five, paint them black and offer them for a certain price. Then you will know better.

No daily driver?? Sorry, but that's nonsense. I don't know what you imagine, but whenever I want to drive my car, I drive it. Absolutely not depending on the weather or the season, I only avoid driving in the snow- not because of my car, not because of salt and snow but because of all the other stupids out there who think their car does everything for them and they don't need to think. Besides of that? Here is a faqer named SnowDriftin'. Ask him, I'm sure I'll agree with his reply.

Can anybody here define "original"? Is it the status the car left the factory without any changes to it? Or are silent hidden mods allowed? What about  particular repainting, what about reversable mods? Sure, ugly flares, chopping and a V8 diesel engine in the trunk are bad, but if there are useful enhancements?

My 74 is parking next to the sideway throughout the year.  So I think it's simply impossible to divide only between moddo-hippies and garage- daddies.

Hen

Okay wow. Being a 17 year-old 02 owner I should be the one wanting a rear spoiler(wing whatever), I am the one who is supposed to like that, maybe I am older in the mind or something because I personally do not like that wing. Might have been the angle of which the photos were taken but I mean it could use some refinement. Now, if it were a duck tail wing like a turbo 02 with an integrated 3rd brake light I would be all for it, but it's not. I agree with whoever said they want that front lip instead of the rear wing, I looove the look of that lip on a clean, non-wide bodied 02. I think part of the other reason I don't like it is that it would imply to others, and police, that it is a sporty car, which I like the sleeper aspect of a good 02. I also am just realizing that I have not updated my blog once since I started... Anyways, good attempt, wrong market.

-Ted 

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

*ignores good advice not to go ahead with crazy idea when advice requested from strangers, asks same strangers to give him $50,000 to fund the same crazy idea, acts suprised when strangers do not instantly agree with crazy idea*

Yup what this is missing is 'marketing'

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/