• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spare tire well replacement question

Dan55

I recently purchased a 2002ad replacement for spare tire well. Should the whole seam be welded or should it be spot welded? This is the last step in a resoration and I want to make sure I get it right. The car is a 72 2002tii. Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks, Dan

If you add a couple inches to the depth of the tire well you will be able to put a wider spare tire in without having to raise the trunk floor.

This is definitely a good idea for most owners! But also bear in mind that most of us -- or least I -- have "bottomed out" '02's against both the gas tanks and spare tire wells. (And I've never owned a lowered '02; my cars have always had stock springs and all their original spacers.) So every inch of depth you add makes that spare tire well more susceptible to such damage -- I suppose it thereby "protects" the stock gas tank. A mere 1/2" (or so) additional depth would provide sufficient space for a 185/70/13 on a 5.5" rim (yes, I would probably consider that "big rubber"!). Test fit before you weld: the square taillight bodies appear to have slightly less depth from the factory than the round taillight cars. There are some threads on the forum regarding what fits, what almost fits, and that un-explainable difference between the round and square taillight cars!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have H&R "Sport" springs--about 1-1.25 inch lowering and haven't bottomed either my gas tank or spare tire well--or even the tailpipe, (which I've extended to clear the '73's protruding rear bumper) which is even more vulnerable to steep driveways...

As was pointed out, you don't need much additional depth to be able to stow a larger tire/wheel; in fact at least on some cars, a 185/70x13 tire on a 5" rim will fit a standard tire well.  

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 7 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, I purchased an MVP Spare tire well from IE. Very nice part. (I have an E30 well I was going to use but this is much nicer). BMW-2002-TI-TII-TRUNK-FLOOR-SPARE-TIRE-WELL-SHEET-METAL-REPAIR-PANEL-IRELAND-ENGINEERING-MOTORSPORTS-PERFORMANCE-RACE-RACING-OEM-GENUINE-TURBO-ALPINA-1600-scaled.jpg

Has anyone installed the MVP item? It has a great rolled flange 

1)Do I butt weld to the trunk floor like this guy?  

Youtube of install

One can really chase blow through and there are inaccessable areas to grind from below if needed. 

2) Or set the repair part flange on top of the trunk floor (adding a lap weld offset crimp to the floor for perfect flush fit could be impossible with the rolled edge on the existing floor.). This would allow me to weld without blowing through.  Or it could be a perfect use for 3M body adhesive.

3) Or cut the flange from the new tire well and install like an E30 section... by slipping the round into the round (gaining depth though not needed for mine. I have seen Extra depth tire wells and they can sit too low). 

Looking for both ease of install and stealthy to a point. Thoughts?