• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Pedal -- Randomly, No Resistance?!

S-L

Definitely an excellent do-it-yourself project, very straightforward.  Just look around for the leak point and fix that .... no more leak.

The unicorn & rainbow in this situation is that the leak is a brake cylinder on one of the rear wheels as those are very easy to get to, take apart, clean, replace the innards, put back together, and bleed the lines (i.e., get the air out).

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

After a friend with more knowledge looked at it, we decided the best bet was to replace the brake booster, brake cylander & clutch master cylinder. Either way, the first two certainly needed replacing since they were the rusty originals still running.

Good choice? Also, looks like the brake booster is super easy to take off...just a couple bolts here and there.

-Slavik

After a friend with more knowledge looked at it, we decided the best bet was to replace the brake booster, brake cylander & clutch master cylinder. Either way, the first two certainly needed replacing since they were the rusty originals still running.

Good choice? Also, looks like the brake booster is super easy to take off...just a couple bolts here and there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If the booster has fluid in it and you can find a replacement, replacing it along with the brake MC could be a good choice. Before replacing the clutch MC, check to see if it is leaking first. by lifting the carpet and poking a stick in the pedal box. If it comes out wet, replace the MC and the slave while you are it. If it is dry, keep it.

Edited by peterschop

Let the car sit for a couple days, came back to this:

20150713_161743.jpg

If the booster has fluid in it and you can find a replacement, replacing it along with the brake MC could be a good choice. Before replacing the clutch MC, check to see if it is leaking first. by lifting the carpet and poking a stick in the pedal box. If it comes out wet, replace the MC and the slave while you are it. If it is dry, keep it.

So, Peter, I don't think its a problem with the brakes or brake booster for that matter. Looks like the only thing leaking is the fluid on the clutch side of the divider in the reservoir.

After filling that back up to maximum, headed to a shop where you could take a good full look from the bottom. One of the mechanics himself couldn't coordinate where the actual leak was coming from..just some engine oil, and occasional grease across the bottom, but no indication of where the leak could be coming from.

What's going on?

--

Yes, yes, replace everything.

I can't do that. Wallet's not thick enough at the moment, but need to narrow down at least a temporary fix for what is causing the problem. Planning to swing by a shop that focuses on vintage '02's, later this week. Will report back.

-Slavik

Have you pulled the rear drums and checked for a leak there? A long shot may be a leak at one of your hard lines somewhere. Get underneath while someone stomps hard on the brake pedal.

Another thing to check is a slow leak from the reservoir and low pressure lines to the brake master.

Don't stop looking. The clutch is cleverly designed to fail first to warn of impending fluid loss. The fact that the level got below the clutch outlet tells me it is a brake issue.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Let the car sit for a couple days, came back to this:

20150713_161743.jpg

So, Peter, I don't think its a problem with the brakes or brake booster for that matter. Looks like the only thing leaking is the fluid on the clutch side of the divider in the reservoir.

After filling that back up to maximum, headed to a shop where you could take a good full look from the bottom. One of the mechanics himself couldn't coordinate where the actual leak was coming from..just some engine oil, and occasional grease across the bottom, but no indication of where the leak could be coming from.

What's going on?

--

I can't do that. Wallet's not thick enough at the moment, but need to narrow down at least a temporary fix for what is causing the problem. Planning to swing by a shop that focuses on vintage '02's, later this week. Will report back.

Look at the three lines coming out of the reservoir. The line on the side at the halfway point feeds the clutch MC. The two lines at the bottom go to the brake master cylinder. If the leak was in the clutch portion, the fluid level would only be down to the clutch take off line. Since the back chamber on the bottom is empty, I would conclude that the leak is in the brake system, most likely the rear brakes. Do us all a favor and pull your rear drums to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking. 

If the wheel cylinders are leaking, you may find brake fluid that has leaked out of the drums onto the back of your tires.

Edited by peterschop

It's not your clutch MC leaking. The clutch line is the top one coming off the reservoir so the leak must be in the brake system. Top it off with some good Dot 4 brake fluid and check for leaks. Check your rear wheel cylinders, calipers and all the lines. If you can't find any, it could be the brake master cylinder leaking into the booster. Keep in mind, brake fluid eats paint and can lead to rust, especially on the front frame rails.

--

Replacing everything is not the answer. You need to find the leak and fix that and then bleed the whole system. Start with the rear wheel cylinders and work forward checking hard lines and rubber hoses all the way up to the brake master cylinder. If you still have not found the leak, do the same on the front starting with the calipers, working up to the MC again. That fluid is going somewhere and it is not leaking from the clutch side.

One last one: any clouds of funny smoke from the exhaust?

Seals in master and booster may have failed and the fluid is being pulled into the engine and burnt.

Occam's razor tells me it is the rear drums but sometimes it is good to do some blue sky thinking.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/