• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002Tii Engine and steering/suspension upgrade

NZ2002Tii

Hi all, just joined the Forum. I purchased a 1972 2002 Tii badged Alpina.  Just completed the HERO Classic marathon through Italy and heading back to UK. A few issues:

1)  Engine is using a fair bit of oil and not performing well at anything over 4000 revs so suspect I am in for an engine rebuild.

2) Handling around track and hairpins is very poor. needs improving

3) Tyres on it are Goodyear standard road: very poor in wet.

So I am looking to upgrade the car and would welcome any good suggestions regarding the engine rebuild in terms of a)engine: eg  cam, head, carbs v fuel injection, B) Steering, c) suspension, d) tyres.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Alpina-badged Tii ???  POST PICS! :)

Welcome to the madness... There are LOTS of threads with suggestions for tires, suspension, engine improvements, etc... There are plenty of FAQers in the UK that can help you source parts and such.

The most helpful tip I can pass along is how to use the Search engine on FAQ:

1. type in your search query words

2. Select the Google option from the pull down menu for the most results (big red circle at upper right)

3.You can then further refine your search using the Google text box (see smaller red circle on left)

post-42878-0-80110200-1435245130_thumb.p

Better get good tires, first and foremost.

First, best, and easiest suspension mod? New/bigger sway bars... I like ST bars. Very easy to install, rear is adjustable and will reduce body roll.

New rubber suspension bushings all around will make the car feel significantly more controllable. Urethane bushings can be substituted in some areas, like sway bars ( aftermarket bars will come with new bushings).  Get underneath the car and inspect all the bushings; old and cracked rubber is no good.

I'm sure others will chime in...

Good luck!!!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Welcome.  What are the brakes like? Brakes first and then steering, suspension.  When you get back to base - do a compression test and report back your findings.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hi zinz and Simeon,

many thanks for replying and for the tips on using forum search.

I will post pic of the 2002Tii  it has the dash plaque and is registered with the Alpina registry. Has had a replacement engine put in but the original block with serial number retained as a spare so am thinking it is a genuine Alpina.

Brakes are good as redone recently, As well as suspension.(standard). Like the idea of heavier sway bars. And yes tyres even though brand new with the car (<3000 miles now) will definitely be replaced!.

Will get compressions done when back to UK

thx  Mike

Since the car is registered with Alpina you might contact them and ask for the build sheet. I'm not sure if they have this kind of info still available but it would be interesting to know exactly how it was configured when it came out of Alpina's hands. You should also have an expert go over the car. Is this the one that was on eBay.co.uk a couple of months ago? It would be worth your while to better understand what you have. There are all kinds of possibilities if it came from Alpina.

If you do need to rebuild the engine and you have the original Alpina engine, then Alpina will sell you a replacement head. You should try to rebuild it to the original spec. Especially if you have the ITBs and other parts that come with an Alpina engine. It won't be cheap, but it would be a shame to do anything less.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by B-Merry

before any suggestions can be made about upgrades,  need to know what the baseline is for things already on the car.  if it is an alpina, then it should already have a bunch of steering and suspension improvements.

your personal driving experience is important also.  the expertise level of the driver is a key factor in the real or perceived handling of the car.

2xM3

if it is an alpina, then it should already have a bunch of steering and suspension improvements.

yep... I was firing from the hip on the ST bars recommendation.  Get that baby up in the air and find out what's underneath.  

and this...

Open the hood, please

Ed 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool