• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tim2002318
Go to solution Solved by jgerock,

Does anyone have any pictures of the proprer assembly of the washers and nuts for my 75 2002. Took it apart 12 years ago just about ready to put it back on the road but can't remember the order of the hardware stack over or under. 

1984 Tercelpost-48973-0-07044500-1435382866_thumb.j

1985 P30 Chev

1985 Suburban

1999 Ford Ranger

1975 2002

1784 318I

1985 jeep CJ7

1950 Chev 3100

On the outside of the pivot--the part that protrudes above the cowl--there's first a rubber washer (against the paint) then a chrome washer and finally the chrome nut.  The rubber washer you can find at a hardware store; if the chrome washer is pitted or rusty, just turn it over--the side that's lived against the rubber should be in good shape.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just replaced the rubber grommets where the wiper pivot passes through the body on my '73 last weekend.  I wish I would have taken pictures now.  On my car it didn't have rubber washers, but a special grommet sized (28x18x6 mm).  28mm outer diameter, 18mm inner diameter, 6mm thick.  The part number for the grommets (called DAMPER RING) is 61-61-1-353-754.  They are still available from BMW.  There is also a small metal spacer about 6mm thick that fits within the 18mm hole in the grommet to keep it from compressing too much when you tighten everything up.  Hope that helps,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

All you that chimmed in. Thank you. I took this car apart over 10 years ago and at that time I had well documented what went where. I always bag and tag parts and take pictures, The rest of the story is that while going through the divorce from hell my ex locked down my car (I had it before we were married) She took off the custom car cover I had purchased to cover my brand new $8000 paint job) and piled yard tools and boxes on my car as well as destroy all the files I had about the restoration. She also gave away several boxes of key parts and all the glass and gaskets. I have played hell for years putting ol blu back together. Thanks for your help. I am almost ready to put her back on the road. Thanks again!

Edited by Tim2002318

What I don't understand though is that my book which covers the older models too. Does not show the damper ring or rubber mount and shows 2 serrated locking washers on each pivot. All I can figure is that the very small exploded view I have is too general for my 75 vintage. Clymer sucks. I have heard the older models are different and use solid rubber washer at the paint

• Solution

Rubber grommet fits into the cowl opening for the wiper pivot.

A steel ring fits inside that rubber grommet to keep it from being crushed.

A washer is on both sides of the grommet- some are curved.  Some are chrome, some are black.

Serrated lock washers are on either side of the fixed wiper rods.

Look at the exploded parts graphic on penkeparts website.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I took pictures of those grommets called DAMPER RINGS where the pivot comes through the body at least on the '73 and later cars.

61-61-1-353-754

28 mm outer diameter

18 mm inner

6 mm thick

post-33357-0-49197700-1435952778_thumb.j

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I bought some new damper rings myself recently.  I was disappointed that they weren't more 'complex' than they are for the price (I thought the steel spacer collar may have been bonded to them).

I reckon generic grommets could be made to work and would be a lot cheaper.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/