• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please list some things that can leave you stranded, and solutions

KFunk

Hmm, could you fit a spare head under there...? Seriously I think that's a good idea. It's also really good place for the stuff regarding weight distribution.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Hmm, could you fit a spare head under there...? Seriously I think that's a good idea. It's also really good place for the stuff regarding weight distribution.

Tommy

Hah, doubtful.  Even if you could, if someone sat in it then you could bend the valves.  I could try a test fit when I take the seat out soon, but no point for me to do it since my spare head is just bare and I'm certainly not getting an extra rebuilt one.

A spare head gasket might be reasonable though, as its fairly cheap and compact, and more likely to go out than anything else in the valvetrain.    

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

OK, so when considering all the possible heavy spares getting beat around in the trunk, I'm thinking of stuffing them under the backseat and padding them a bit to prevent rattles.

That is genius.  Bonus points if you get some high density foam and do nice cutouts for each part you put in there, which would keep them from shifting around or rattling.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Zip ties belong in every toolbox

3  sizes plastic, and stainless steel large enough for exhaust repair.  

Just be careful if you get pulled over with zip ties, duct tape, hammer, pliers, rags, rope, gasoline, blankets, a shovel, and a video camera in the trunk.  You may have some 'splaining to do.

Edited by lilmo

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

• 3 months later...

Wow, great topic !

having built 200 of these 2002's can give experiential simple things that can leave you static

1  the little din power connector  to distributor from ignition can just come loose... crimp it good 

2  use a voltmeter or battery tester to measure charging.... see if you can get over 14 volts with all your peripherals on... 13.5 ok but something around 12 12.5 at idle could be running battery down slowly especially in stop and go traffic

- make sure you don't have high draw stereo

- make sure AC and other add ones like fog lights don't draw more then the 40 amp alternator stock on car 

3. gas guage on cars not always perfect... check double ground, fill up often test your gas gauge ?

4. make sure spare, jack and tires good...if have fancy mag wheels with locks ... make sure have good key and wrench that fits ?  I always put the key in  a ziplock bag and tape it to lug wrench so hard to loose, easy to find

5. listen carefully for drive line noise, in balance from center support, guibo flex joint, etc.     replace these things proactively

6. look for fluid leaks on transmission and differential... fill with appropriate gear oil .... just a bit low in differential and wipe out diff at highway speeds quickly

7. most important safety part on car is the center drag link between two front ball joints.   Make sure no play... inexpensive, replace proactively.   Failure here at highway speeds is not good... your front wheels could go opposite directions

http://www.dtechparts.com/search.php?search_query=drag&x=0&y=0

8. make sure your carb does not run to rich... so check oil make sure oil has not gotten gas in it from to rich a carb. Change, this will not strand you but will wipe our rings on engine over time... run a 20W 50 or 40W on most high mileage 2002's

9. check gear oil in steering box... easy to do make sure full !

Lastly, this is just a small partial list but seems to be the minor items that happen most often.   Listen to your car !  Learn to inspect yourself like a pilot does as a pre flight check list

Cars are solid and bullet proof but require some analog common sense inspection

Cheers

• 2 years later...

in 30 years of ownership (1972 tii): and many thousands of miles of road trips including two cross country trips, these are the items that resulted in being stranded

1. fuel line leak by rear fuel pump; solution bring some extra fuel hose (several sizes)

2. rear wheel bearing failure; have to replace the bearing, this is more like a wear item...

3. starter failure; this was original starter, now replaced/upgraded to e30 starter

4. Kfish pump belt snapped; solution bring spare belt (didn't have one then, do carry one now)