• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB early model hazard switch button

Jae

• 5 years later...

Symptoms: your flashers don't work, turn signals and wipers/pump don't either. 

Solution: It's not your relays, check the flasher button for broken spade connectors. 

The Flasher (turn signal) relay and the wiper relay get their power through the flasher button, and in turn through a violet and white power wire (Vi-WS on my electrical diagram), and in turn from the Ignition Switch (fat Violet wire 2.5 Vi on diagram). The spade connectors are held by a very small brass rivet easily broken.  One tug on the flasher button connector is enough to break the rivet that holds the spade. 

There are no solid-state mysterious components inside the flasher connector, just one resistor and 6-7 spade connectors.

If you can't find a flasher button from UnObtainium Motors, you can try a repair.  (Warning: not for folks with little patience).

Disassemble the connector with an Exacto knife and pocket knife. Replace the broken rivet with a small computer chassis screw, I used one from an old desktop hard drive.

Use your owners manual for consulting electrical diagrams, after market diagrams are different.

Reassemble with a little Silicon lubricant on the button, reinstall in the console dash and your flashers, signals, and wiper will work again. Mine did.  This repair saved weeks of flea-Bay shopping and frustration. Good Luck.

DSCN1144.JPG

DSCN1145.JPG

'74 2002 Coupe Baikal Blau - 46 years

-'81 R100RS Red Baron

-'90 K75s Marakesch

-'93 K75s Mystic Red