• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horse hair seat pads

gary

Rumor has it VW pads can be made to work.

Here is a link to Wolfsburg West, where I am thinking of shopping for bottom pads, to go in the stock '76 seats I have.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/interior/seat_pads_bug.cfm?type=1

At $30 each, I think they are worth a try.  

Expensive to ship, unfortunately, but they say the auto-quote varies from actual shipping.

If you beat me to it, please post your experience.

It looks like these would work the best for the bottoms

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=171881375B

171881375B.jpg

and these for the backs

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113881775Q

113881775Q.jpg

Edit: I recently read that they do not fit.  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/124917-seat-pads-still-available-from-dealer-but-which-ones/?p=1085555

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Not for direct replacement. A few people have talked about trying / modifying some air cooled VW pads which may be close enough. These are about $30 each so may be worth a shot. Failing that, rebuilding your own with pieces of foam sculpted into place is the other value proposition.

Not for direct replacement. A few people have talked about trying / modifying some air cooled VW pads which may be close enough. These are about $30 each so may be worth a shot. Failing that, rebuilding your own with pieces of foam sculpted into place is the other value proposition.

Bugger. Sorry about the spam.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

This is a very sore subject for me. The new replacements from BMW are way too expensive. You can buy a very nice set of Recaros for the price of just those $&@)/ pads.

Jim,

This was true 25+ years ago, too.  For what I paid for World Upholstery covers & a lower seat pad for my '76 I could have been sitting in a Recaro!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

2002ad has the '74-'76 OEM lower horsehair pad for only $87 on their website. Here is the link to order:

https://www.2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=1597

I'm getting the backs from Blunt, he has the best prices overall and great service. The pics I have seen of people using foam padding the seats look terrible IMO.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NowhereFast

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

I wish they had a photo of the pad at 2002ad (maybe they are WW pads?  ;) )

2002ad  say the rear seat pad is not available.

I currently have a VW rear seat bottom in the 02, because it is deeper and taller (for the dog) and my original is thin thin thin.

WW sells VW rear seat pads as well (back seat).  I'll bet they would be a good-enough fit.  Just guessin'.

I just bought a used early interior that someone invested a ton of dough in. All new horsehair pads including the rears. I glanced at it briefly and seem to recall some tags on the horsehair pads. It is true the rears are NLA from BMW so next time Im out where they are Ill try to get a name.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

When I had the stock seats on my '73tii redone last year, the lower pads were in good shape.  Probably replaced at some point by the previous owner.  I think there was a tag on the lower drivers side pad that said 'Johnson Controls' or something like that.  The pads fit nicely.  Don't know if that company exists anymore or not. 

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

How big of an issue is sagging seat springs?

I have found clips missing in my seat bottom.  I bent new ones.

They connect the coil springs and space them at about an inch and a half.

There is also a wire that runs side to side towards the back.

One was rusty and broken, so I used 1/16" stainless TIG rod to replace it.

I also put two folded gunney sacks on top of the springs, from underneath.

Someone put a layer of what looks like carpet on the springs, under the horsehair.

I doubt that was factory installed.

What would you put between the horsehair and the springs?

VW install tip says put a thin cotton layer between horsehair and vinyl to make it last longer.

WW sells a thin cotton batting that is installed around the perimeter on top of the hair, on some seats.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111881800

Having a good structure to drop the horse hair on is important.

Restretching old vinyl is something I have not done... yet.

I have brand new vinyl for some low back VW seats.

I am driving on them with the back covers draped over the original vinyl, awaiting a horsehair 'kit' as well; while I look forward to the "why didn't I do that a long time ago?" feeling.

If only it did not cost $25 to get a $30 pad to my door, I would try one.

Postage rates encourage 'buying in bulk', but I have rocker patches... and such, to buy first.

Is it 'slumming' to put VW parts in a BMW?

Won't even park your butt on them?   :(    

:D

When I had the stock seats on my '73tii redone last year, the lower pads were in good shape.  Probably replaced at some point by the previous owner.  I think there was a tag on the lower drivers side pad that said 'Johnson Controls' or something like that.  The pads fit nicely.  Don't know if that company exists anymore or not. 

John

John,

I recently purchased a new BMW pad from BLUNT for my 69 driver's seat back.  It came in a box from Germany and was labeled Johnson Controls.  Unfortunately, the part number I worked with Steve to order was for a late model 2002 seat which was very different than what I really need.  The Walloth-Nesch website lists pads for 71-73 cars but nothing earlier.   I have an old 70 right seat back pad that I may be forced to use.

I'm getting ready to purchase the back seat pads suitable for VW Beetles.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Johnson Controls is an electrical parts supply house.  Wonder how they got into supplying seat pads for old BMWs!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Johnson Controls is an electrical parts supply house.  Wonder how they got into supplying seat pads for old BMWs!

Jim- not 100% sure of this. One of my customers from a while ago was Automotive Industries (ASAA). They changed to Lear Corporation (seats and door panels). Maybe they were absorbed by J-C much like the Tyco Corp. big buying of smaller companies. Johnson Controls was another customer of ours years ago. Now I see their service trucks on the road.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"