• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horse hair seat pads

gary

22 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

or is that your original passenger seat?

They are the original covers. Over the years they had faded from the Gobi tan to washed out beige... and dirty ugly. I cleaned the covers well and refinished with leather/vinyl dye from Rub'n'Restore.com, a product I have used before with great results. Base walnut to cover, then 3 coats of tobacco then sealed. Wears well, doesn't rub off, easy to tough up areas where needed. 

The driver's seat center perforated section had split seams, ordered some tan perforated material and replaced the back and botton section. It was a pain to do! Refinished the driver's seat as well. rearseat.thumb.jpg.6f71fae06b99939ff455a5d9eb758b9b.jpg

rearseat2.thumb.jpg.5ede267d2baaed659450a373c5067012.jpg

• Like 7

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

55 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

They are the original covers. Over the years they had faded from the Gobi tan to washed out beige... and dirty ugly. I cleaned the covers well and refinished with leather/vinyl dye from Rub'n'Restore.com, a product I have used before with great results. Base walnut to cover, then 3 coats of tobacco then sealed. Wears well, doesn't rub off, easy to tough up areas where needed. 

The driver's seat center perforated section had split seams, ordered some tan perforated material and replaced the back and botton section. It was a pain to do! Refinished the driver's seat as well. rearseat.thumb.jpg.6f71fae06b99939ff455a5d9eb758b9b.jpg

Man that looks good.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

10 hours ago, OldRoller said:

… They are the original covers. Over the years they had faded from the Gobi tan to washed out beige... and dirty ugly

Your seats look fabulous! No doubt.

But just a note: The Saddle Brown of the late round taillight era was replaced in 1974, the beginning of the square taillight era, with a considerably lighter shade of brown. The new color was called “Nylon Brown” on window stickers and “Beige” in the color brochures. Stated differently, your seats might have faded, but not necessarily much: they were Beige when your car left the factory in 1974. In my opinion, your “before” photo shows little to no fading — but, yes, lots of dirt.

”Gobi Tan” is World Upholstery’s name for their closest match to Nylon Brown/Beige, but their Gobi Tan is a bit more “fleshy” than BMW’s original color. Your re-dyed seats, on the other hand, are much closer to the earlier Saddle Brown.

I notice that your new door cards are of the round taillight style, with Black vinyl trim across the top border. Square taillight cars — I’m betting to save the factory money — switched to single-color door cards, with less decorative chrome. Being round taillight components, I’d bet those door cards were always Saddle Brown.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’d bet those door cards were always Saddle Brown

My 'gobi tan' label for the original color is wrong, obviously. The interior looked and felt drab, and I always liked the look of the roundie interiors. I copied that look to my tastes, and very pleased with it. 

The door and quarter cards are original, and dyed to match. They were the same bland tan, but in excellent condition. 

I was never after a 'concours' resto, just a solid clean rebuild that I can drive and enjoy. 

Thanks for the info Steve, I will update my car's folder to reflect the correct color labels. Gunther was originally Sienna Brown btw...now Agave, so far from original in more ways than a couple. 😎

Cheers! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldRoller said:

My 'gobi tan' label for the original color is wrong, obviously. The interior looked and felt drab, and I always liked the look of the roundie interiors. I copied that look to my tastes, and very pleased with it. 

The door and quarter cards are original, and dyed to match. They were the same bland tan, but in excellent condition. 

I was never after a 'concours' resto, just a solid clean rebuild that I can drive and enjoy. 

Thanks for the info Steve, I will update my car's folder to reflect the correct color labels. Gunther was originally Sienna Brown btw...now Agave, so far from original in more ways than a couple. 😎

Cheers! 

I don't get the whole "original" thing

• Like 1

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

2 hours ago, VWScott said:

I don't get the whole "original" thing

I get you... I have been the "purist" on occasion, done several over my years. It's a rewarding feat to bring a 60-70 year old car back to the condition of sale, right down to the bolts, nuts, and knobs. Part of the enjoyment is the hunt for the elusive piece needed for the final touch. So, yeah, I get both tendencies.

These days I build for me. If I like something, it's a go-for-it process and I don't worry if it gets changed later. Basically do what makes you feel good and roll on! It is only yourself you need to please.

On 7/14/2015 at 8:28 PM, JohnP_02 said:

2002ad has the '74-'76 OEM lower horsehair pad for only $87 on their website. Here is the link to order:

https://www.2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=1597

I'm getting the backs from Blunt, he has the best prices overall and great service. The pics I have seen of people using foam padding the seats look terrible IMO.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$87 to $582 in 9 years, ah inflation and COLA

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, OldRoller said:

I get you... I have been the "purist" on occasion, done several over my years. It's a rewarding feat to bring a 60-70 year old car back to the condition of sale, right down to the bolts, nuts, and knobs. Part of the enjoyment is the hunt for the elusive piece needed for the final touch. So, yeah, I get both tendencies.

These days I build for me. If I like something, it's a go-for-it process and I don't worry if it gets changed later. Basically do what makes you feel good and roll on! It is only yourself you need to please.

That is the only way to look at it and I don’t like to rush it either!

• Like 2

History gets lost. It’s not important to everyone. But once it’s lost, it’s gone!

Every old car owner has the full rights to shape their car into whatever form makes them happy. I’d much rather see an old car loved than rusting away. I’ve even appreciated beautiful resto-modded ‘02’s! 😯 I intend to deny I made this statement 15 minutes from now… 😋

But I’ve had ‘02 owners tell me that their 14 x 5 1/2 and 15 x 7 rims were the original sizes for an ‘02. And there are persistent and common myths, such as factory alloys being standard equipment or only available for tii’s. Or that tii’s used a different chassis than non-tii’s, or that 2002’s used a different chassis than 1600-2’s.

As one of the “old guys”, an ‘02 owner continuously since June 6, 1973, I like to address myths and misconceptions so that current and future generations of ‘02 owners will, at minimum, have a clear picture of where things began, regardless of where they wish their project to end.

My comments on any given restoration are not directed towards a single car, but towards the entire audience reading a thread. As an illustration, I personally find “Saddle” a more satisfying brown than “Nylon Brown”, but, for those who enjoy originality — and there are more than a few — current and future ‘02 owners deserve to know that Saddle ended with round taillights and square taillights ushered in the “Nylon Brown era”. 😳

Enjoy your ‘02’s. Love your ‘02’s!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

On 8/26/2024 at 1:39 PM, bluehills2002 said:

Old Roller, did you find a source for the ‘74 only vinyl pattern, or is that your original passenger seat?  It looks great.  Tom

Tom,

World Upholstery still offers a 1974-only version of their seat covers. If I see a beautifully re-done square taillight interior but in a slightly more “fleshy” beige/tan, I usually conclude that it’s Gobi Tan from World Upholstery — I don’t know how often I’m correct!

WWW.WORLDUPH.COM

Seat Upholstery/Covers for BMW 02 Series Sports Sedans (E10). World Upholstery & Trim manufactures authentic reproductions of the original seat upholstery as the best...

And GAHH also appears to offer a 1974-only version. Their version of Nylon Brown is called Buckskin. I don’t know how it compares the original color.

GAHH.COM

GAHH luxury European and vintage seat cover upholstery restoration kits are available in a variety of colors and...

Regards,

Steve

34 minutes ago, Conserv said:

My comments on any given restoration are not directed towards a single car, but towards the entire audience

Well said Steve! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1