• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro seats

petermeyer

Yes, they are out there but they're in Europe, primarily Germany. If you're looking for a pair that's State-side -- you haven't said where you're located -- I'd recommend you start by calling Connor Elkington of Vintage Autobahn in Oregon. He's a regular forum user but I can't recall if his username is "vintageautobahn" or something else!

Wherever you find them, they won't be cheap. They're very similar to the Recaro-built sport seats in early 911's so you're competing with early 911's, where the wild collector car market has made parts prices equally wild!

I've thought about these seats for my '73 but before I found a set I found a pair of Recaro Idealsitz S seats -- only manufactured, at most, from '71 to '74, and supremely comfortable -- so I decided to take the "period aftermarket" approach rather than the "factory option" approach.

Good luck! They are out there, though not here if here is the U.S.!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Kevin,

That is a late E21 sport steering wheel which WASN'T found in the 2002 turbo.  The early sport wheel is similar to the 2002 turbo wheel but it is not exactly the same as it uses a different horn button than the turbo wheel and due to the design, you cannot use a turbo horn button on an E21 wheel.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of experts out there showing their lack of expertise and you happened to read their claim and used it in your ad which then makes you look as bad as that expert!  Good luck with your sale.

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

Thanks Steve. That's great advice. I appreciate the advice and the Recaro Idealsitz comment. I'd probably be happy with those and will include

them in my search........

You're quite welcome, Peter. And excuse me if I read your "original Recaros" more literally than you may have intended. E21 Recaros are relatively plentiful and excellent seats. But I took "original Recaros" to mean the Recaros that were optional from the factory on '02s: they look quite different from e21 Recaros and are far, far rarer.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks Steve. I did mean original Recaro but just saw a pair of very ordinary seats in Europe sold for about 3000 euro! I don't want them that badly as I'm sure 

they would be $1000 to restore if not more. I am in Australia and was looking at Realoem.com and saw the Recaros and thought they would be nice to have but maybe

I'll investigate alternatives......or keep my seats and buy new base pads! 

I wonder if anyone has a photo of the original Recaros?...

Peter,

See Post #8 in the following:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125154-original-recaro-sport-seats/?hl=%2Brecaro+%2Bscheel+%2Bfactory#entry99406

VERY pricey! I'd estimate the price range for a matched set (left and right) to be US$2,000 to US$6,000, ranging from restorable cores to mint restored or NOS! Of course, I'll read on the early911S forum -- I don't own one, I JUST read the forum -- about someone finding one at a local German flea market for 60 Euros!

My ca. 1972 Idealsitz S seats are pictured below. The e21 (Recaro) sport seats first appeared around 1978, so they're almost period correct and FAR more plentiful than the '02 factory-optional Recaros. They are used frequently in U.S. '02s, as they are generally a substantial upgrade over the stock seats, in both support and comfort.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-75746300-1437657443_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv