• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 02 Purchase (Pompano Beach FL)

rgiles675

I just picked up a 71 02 and can't wait to get going on it. I was on the forum awhile back but sold my 74 5 years back. Regretted selling it so had to pick up a 71. What are the best sites to order parts? I'm sure it's been discussed so in the meantime I'll be searching. BTW my name is Ryan. 

Cheers! 

post-37805-0-23041700-1437584404_thumb.j

Absorbantnut do you have an LSD? I had one in my last 02 and wow it was fun. I just ordered rear drums and shoes along with new pads and rotors for the front. I was pretty lucky the car came with an E21 5 speed.  Just needs some extensive brake work. For some reason it's really hard to stop and you have to really smash the brake pedal down to stop. 

My usual 02 parts source is Greenfield Imported Auto Parts (Greenfield, Mass.). I have been buying 2002 and 325 parts from them for many years. They know the cars inside and out, carry most things in stock, and can get almost anything they don’t have. Because they operate a repair business also, they can provide tech advice when you need it. I deal with Steve Messer, who is excellent, but that goes for the entire staff. They can be reached at 413-774-2819. As I'm also in Massachusetts, my parts always arrive the next day by standard UPS. 

Edited by Nuthatch

very hard brake pedal that still stops the car (not a mushy one that goes to the floor) is usually a bad brake booster.  Buy a rebuilt Centric one about $165 on PartsGeek.  Blunt doesn't have them yet... :(

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

don't order a booster yet!  check to make sure it is actually dead.  could be as simple as the vacuum line to it was disconnected or plugged....

(I don't live there now, but south florida is "home".  lots of relatives in boca/davie/hillsborough.)

2xM3

don't order a booster yet!  check to make sure it is actually dead.  could be as simple as the vacuum line to it was disconnected or plugged....

(I don't live there now, but south florida is "home".  lots of relatives in boca/davie/hillsborough.)

It was a simple vacuum line. Really it was the one way check valve...she was plugged...un-plugged it and now I have brakes again. haha such an easy awesome car to work on. 

I would suggest popping the pistons out of the calipers, while you are into the brakes.

They tend to rust at the outer end of the bore, causing pistons to stick and brakes to drag.

I chose to remove this rust and keep my original calipers in service, but for some people the 'remanufactured' option makes more sense.  

Here is the thread I started 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/167847-broken-brake-caliper-piston/

and there is a reference to a great thread within, where JohnH was more thorough and split the calipers.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/165539-reviving-the-tii-after-five-years-hibernation/?p=1038274

Coincidentally, I just finished fixing a dragging caliper in my 72 suburban... and replacing all four wheel cylinders on my VW bug, due to dragging brakes.  I have not checked the subaru yet, but three out of four needed help!

Just for fun, here is a comparison of the size of the single Chevy piston, and one of the (pitted) 02 pistons I replaced

016_zpscksslinj.jpg

I have replaced the rubber brake lines in all three of those vehicles as well.  As you may know, they can look okay, but swell shut.  That can make for a stiff pedal, or dragging brakes.  You did not mention ordering wheel cylinders.  Hopefully yours are still good.  I would definitely check out the flexible brake lines though.

EDIT: Oh, a vacuum line.  Never mind. :) It should always be that easy.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

don't order a booster yet!check to make sure it is actually dead.could be as simple as the vacuum line to it was disconnected or plugged....

Marshal beat me to it... He's good like that.  I meant to edit my post and had to attend to "real work"... Glad it's just a vacuum line... my recent '75 project wasn't so lucky. 

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool