• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel, spark, compression, timing, but won't start... hmmm.

digdoug
Go to solution Solved by Guest_anonymous,

I recently aquired a 75 2002 that was running decently until a few days ago when it suddenly quit and refused to start.;

I'm still sorting things out with this car, but here's what I know about the engine:

- It's an M10 with stock exhaust

- Carb is a Weber 38/38 DGEV with an electric fuel pump supplying gas

- Cam appears to have been changed - didn't recognize manufacturer, but IIRC, had 283 etched in end

- Ignition is MSD with Bosch red coil and Pertronix ignitor in distributor

First I pulled the fuel hose of the Weber (and ran into a catch jar)  and turned on the ignition which started the fuel pump.  Fuel sprayed out into the jar - looks good.

Next I checked for spark by removing #1 and #3 plugs and turning the engine over.  Initially the spark was a weak and orange. So I purchased and replaced the Bosch red coil and spark appears to be better.  Big and blue-white.

Compression on #1 and #3 cylinders is around 110 cold, which I *think* is ok. (To tell you the truth i'm not sure if my ancient compression gauge is accurate or if I did the test right - anyway, the car was running at least ok before it died, so I doubt this is the problem)

Spraying starter fluid into the carb then turning it over does exactly nothing.

I'm really confused.  Anyone?

DW

I'd say flooded. or timing. Dry the plugs and try starting fluid.

Is the battery well-charged?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'd say flooded. or timing. Dry the plugs and try starting fluid.

Is the battery well-charged?

Cheers,

Battery is charged.  Plug #1 was pretty dry, even after a bunch of cranking, but #3 looked a tad wet...

I did take a quick look at the timing - what I mean is: I noted that when the "OT" line is visible in the bell housing window, the TDC mark on the cam gear is lined up with the mark on the head.  What else should I look for - I haven't messed with the distributor, cap, rotor, wires..

Thanks BTW :)

That's not how you set the timing. Plenty of articles on Forum, best to buy inexpensive timing light from harbor Freight. Then make sure carb is squirting gas by looking down the throats. Also Pertronix is not compatible with all coils. More searching to see whether red and maybe resistor is OK. I can't remember. Wrong coil can fry Pert.

That's not how you set the timing. Plenty of articles on Forum, best to buy inexpensive timing light from harbor Freight. Then make sure carb is squirting gas by looking down the throats. Also Pertronix is not compatible with all coils. More searching to see whether red and maybe resistor is OK. I can't remember. Wrong coil can fry Pert.

Sounds very reasonable.  Before I pick up a timing light, can I ask a pair of follow-up quiestions?

1.  The car was running - can timing spontaneously change enough to prevent the car from starting altogether?  How?

2.  I had that thought - that I should check for fuel squirting - my problem is the butterfly valves on the Weber are closed and I can't budge them.  At all.  This is part of the electric choke mechanism right?  I'm guessing I shouldn't force them open...

Edited by digdoug

The butterfly valves are spring loaded even on an electric choke and when the choke is set right and functioning they should be closed but just gently and should be able to move open with your fingers.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Tapped on the actuator arm of the butterfly valve with the handle of a large screwdriver until it released and the valve opened. Cranked it. Started right up!

Now I get to wonder why that thing seized up - and siezed up HARD. Oh well, I'll be ready next time. I'm starting to love this car.

Thanks for the help, this is a great forum.

DW

Good catch on the choke plate. Prob a good idea to check timing anyway.

I love giving answers to problems people dont have yet, here we were ready to rebuild your engine :)

Well, believe or not that was the case with my var . When bought there drove it for 200 miles and then would not start no matter what I did. spark plugs were all wet when were pulled. Had antifreeze mixed with oil when took valave cover off and upon inspection found 2 major cracks in chambe 2 & 3 and the rest is history.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10