• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What repairs are best done with dash/windshields out?

rdeeble

Hi Faq.

Ive got a second 76 to replace my daily drive (of the same year). I have very little history on the car and currently its dash and all of its glass for paint.  I took it to my mechanic to check it out a bit and unfreeze the clutch so it could be mobile at the paint shop.  

Considering that the dash and windshield are currently out are there some specific things my mechanic should check that would be easier to deal with now before the dash and windshields are removed at the body shop?

Heater box is one, anything else I should be thinking of?

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Add a pigtail ground wire to the back of the gauge pod, routed to the ground location on the inside firewall. Sure helps solve the jumpy temp gauge. Clean all the gauge bulbs while your there.

post-42878-0-50559400-1437794285_thumb.j

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

With the windshield out, it's a great time to wire in a E30 map-light mirror.  Pull the headliner back and splice the wiring to the mirror into the overhead dome light wiring. The wiring to the dome light comes in through the drivers side A-pillar.  I found my E30 map light mirror in a pik-a-part yard and you see them frequently for sale in the FAQ classifieds.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner