• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting '74 Tii back on the road

Jjmoonen

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer to the site. I have looked around a bit and it looks like there is a lot of knowledge and experience here.

That being said, I'm looking for any pointers. I will be taking ownership of a 1974 2002 Tii in a few weeks. My wife's great aunt bought the car new and it's been sitting in her garage for the last 10 plus years. It's dusty, but aside from aged cracked paint, it looks fantastic. I could find any rust when I initially looked at it. I know I will have to go through brakes, fuel system, replace fluids, tune up ignition system, etc. what I'm wondering, is if there is anything specific to these cars I should look out for? It's a manual transmission car, so I suppose the clutch may need help too after sitting for so long.

Anyway, thanks for any help guys.

Welcome!

Photos?

VIN?

Lots of knowledge and help on this forum. And, fortunately, most of the members have more patience than I!

Congrats,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

No VIN yet. Car is in CA and I'm in MN. When I looked at it about two years ago, I never expected to own it (despite loving the car). Anyway here are pics, nothing special (mother in law took them on a recent visit out there). Once I get the car here I can take some real pics after a good cleanup.

post-49137-0-69680700-1437847954_thumb.j

post-49137-0-99328900-1437847965_thumb.j

post-49137-0-15443900-1437847977_thumb.j

post-49137-0-08109300-1437847993_thumb.j

post-49137-0-10931500-1437848007_thumb.j

post-49137-0-17765400-1437848019_thumb.j

post-49137-0-17268900-1437848029_thumb.j

Congratulations on being the next caretaker of this tii.  Don't try to start it - no matter what everyone says.

Replace all the fuel lines, dump the old gas (varnish) from the tank and clean all the tii-specific screens and replace the aluminum filter next to the radiator.

Drain the coolant and oil and replace (this will be sacrificial as you will replace at least the engine oil again).

When you finally get the nerve to turn the key, have a helper do this while you check for fuel leaks at the Kugelfisher pump, the cold start valve and the electric fuel pump underneath the car.  Do not start it yet.

Add a little bit of oil to the KF pump - how much?  It doesn't take much since the oil drains back into the engine sump.

Check the air cleaner for critters and nuts and bird seed.   Make sure the throttle linkages move freely and are not stuck/seized.

Remove the valve cover and pour some oil onto the camshaft lobes.

Remove the spark plugs, squirt a little oil into the chambers  and turn the engine over by hand (use the fan or a shallow 30mm socket and breaker bar at the front).

Make sure the clutch isn't seized to the flywheel before trying to start it.

Flush all the old brake fluid and the clutch hydraulics before driving it.

I'm sure more folks will chime in.   Have fun with it! 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Nice Tii. I also have a 74 that was serviced regularly and still had needs. First read everything you can regarding these cars especially the fuel injection.

I would recommend replacing all rubber hoses and fittings associated with the air and fuel. I chased air leaks for some time before replacing all hoses and especially the rubber connector from the air cleaner to the intake. Fuel lines and filters too. Make sure you use lines rated for FI.

In the end you will have a great driving car. Just had mine on a 650 mile trip and had a blast.

The snorkel is the cylindrical tube on your nose panel. Passenger side above the radiator. Tii's did not have snorkels, so more than likely the front nose panel was replaced at some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Looks like mine....a little bit.  It is an Amazonas Grun car!  We are a rare breed!  Good luck with it!

74 Amazonas tii, Bill Holman built, dual throttle bodies, Shrick 304, Stahl header, five speed, big brakes, H&R springs, Bilsteins, E30 BBS wheels.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the car.

As you have found, there is quite a bit of knowledge on this forum, and the previous posts, which I would summarize as saying "don't send a sludge booger into your kfish pump trying to start it" are all correct.

If you want a guided tour of the car through another person's restoration, I encourage you to go through Keith Kreeger's build of Stella, documented here:

http://www.my2002tii.com/

Also, take a bit of time just reading through the forum about kfish tuning.  What you will find is that these marvelous fuel injection pumps are pretty sensitive to tune, and sloppy linkages and poor system adjustment will make you miserable.  

Best of luck with the car.  It will be fun to see it get back on the road.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the car.

As you have found, there is quite a bit of knowledge on this forum, and the previous posts, which I would summarize as saying "don't send a sludge booger into your kfish pump trying to start it" are all correct.

If you want a guided tour of the car through another person's restoration, I encourage you to go through Keith Kreeger's build of Stella, documented here:

http://www.my2002tii.com/

Also, take a bit of time just reading through the forum about kfish tuning.  What you will find is that these marvelous fuel injection pumps are pretty sensitive to tune, and sloppy linkages and poor system adjustment will make you miserable.  

Best of luck with the car.  It will be fun to see it get back on the road.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)