• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting '74 Tii back on the road

Jjmoonen

Congratulations on being the next caretaker of this tii.  Don't try to start it - no matter what everyone says.

Replace all the fuel lines, dump the old gas (varnish) from the tank and clean all the tii-specific screens and replace the aluminum filter next to the radiator.

Drain the coolant and oil and replace (this will be sacrificial as you will replace at least the engine oil again).

When you finally get the nerve to turn the key, have a helper do this while you check for fuel leaks at the Kugelfisher pump, the cold start valve and the electric fuel pump underneath the car.  Do not start it yet.

Add a little bit of oil to the KF pump - how much?  It doesn't take much since the oil drains back into the engine sump.

Check the air cleaner for critters and nuts and bird seed.   Make sure the throttle linkages move freely and are not stuck/seized.

Remove the valve cover and pour some oil onto the camshaft lobes.

Remove the spark plugs, squirt a little oil into the chambers  and turn the engine over by hand (use the fan or a shallow 30mm socket and breaker bar at the front).

Make sure the clutch isn't seized to the flywheel before trying to start it.

Flush all the old brake fluid and the clutch hydraulics before driving it.

I'm sure more folks will chime in.   Have fun with it!

Do EXACTLY what Jim recommends above! I, on the other hand, would verify it has oil in it, hook it up to the hot box, and CRANK that sum-bitch til it starts or dies. Did I mention I'm not too long on patience?

It's SO much cooler in photos than it sounds in your original post. That baby is complete, and looks to be in good condition!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There are some who believe strongly that some tii cars received snorkel noses even though superfluous sue a shortage of non snorkels on the day the factory built those specific tiis. I would not worry for a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

Do EXACTLY what Jim recommends above! I, on the other hand, would verify it has oil in it, hook it up to the hot box, and CRANK that sum-bitch til it starts or dies. Did I mention I'm not too long on patience?

It's SO much cooler in photos than it sounds in your original post. That baby is complete, and looks to be in good condition!

Regards,

Steve

Lol I would love to just fire it up, spin it to 4 grand and do a burnout, but I need this one to be a driver that I fix little by little. I already have a '71 Monte Carlo that needs a complete restore due to extensive rust. So that one will receive most of the attention to begin with. The Tii will hopefully be something I can just drive and enjoy for now.

Since you live in MN, make sure this tii hibernates during the winter.  It pains me to see a CA blue plate tii leave CA but from your input, I know it's going to a good home. One thing that Keith Kreeger did on his tii that influenced me to do the same on my 74 tii was to convert from the US spec "diving board" bumpers to early or Euro bumpers. Square tail light 02's look so much better after a  Euro or early bumper conversion.  Great story and start a blog on your efforts on getting this tii back on the road.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Do what Jim says -- back to front checkout of the fuel system. If you want to see what can go wrong if you don't, settle in for a long read and look at thehackmechanic.blogspot.com. Read parts 1 through 4 in the correct order for maximum impact.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Since you live in MN, make sure this tii hibernates during the winter.  It pains me to see a CA blue plate tii leave CA but from your input, I know it's going to a good home. One thing that Keith Kreeger did on his tii that influenced me to do the same on my 74 tii was to convert from the US spec "diving board" bumpers to early or Euro bumpers. Square tail light 02's look so much better after a  Euro or early bumper conversion.  Great story and start a blog on your efforts on getting this tii back on the road.

G-Man

Fear not Gordon, this car will continue to be sheltered from weather (especially the brutal winters and salted roads). It will have a cozy winter home inside, covered and sitting on jack stands.

I agree on the bumpers. The US spec ones are hideous in my opinion. While it wont be at the top of my list to start, it is on the list.

One additional thing to check is the nylon injection pump belt condition. There is a black plastic cover held to the front of the engine with about 5 small bolts (10mm socket I believe). Remove the cover and look at the belt for frayed edges. Depending on its age and condition, it may break when you try starting the car.

Don't be intimidated by the fuel injection of these cars- it is simple once you identify the pieces and how they work together.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 month later...

It is now on its way to its new home in MN. The last time it had tabs was 1998. So its been sitting for about 18 years in a garage in Altadena. There are some small issues, but overall it's in fantastic shape. There is still factory paint on the undercarriage!

post-49137-0-31872300-1441142280_thumb.j

post-49137-0-19632900-1441142313_thumb.j

post-49137-0-32520600-1441142331_thumb.j

post-49137-0-00868100-1441142354_thumb.j

Congratulations!  Looks like my 74tii's twin brother.  It looks like a Amazonas Grun car.  Not many of them out there.  Post the VIN when you get it.  I would like to see how close it is to mine.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777