• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Link: the Secret Maserati-'02 Connection

Conserv

Dave (auggiemize) un-earthed the following, which may help explain the recent $38.5K auction sale of a "simply fun" '02:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150513069374?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2FGift-Cards-Coupons-%2F172008%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D150513069374%26_rdc%3D1

Either the Maserati Ghibli -- the ORIGINAL Ghibli, not this NEW thing -- and the '02 share identical original shift knobs or -- and this is hard to believe -- this listing is in error! Given that this seller had an NOS Cosmic Mark II rim for over a year, in which I was interested, but he could not provide the rim's size, PCD (bolt pattern), ET (offset), hub center bore, or additional photos, beyond one, I'm guessing the latter rather than the former.

But if I'm wrong -- and I have been wrong many, many times -- this may explain the bump we're seeing in '02 prices.

More importantly, why the hell is Dave looking at Ghibli parts? I wish I could be looking at Ghibli parts!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I noticed the Ghibli knob was the same too. Got outbid for one on eBay. It sold for less than $40. Cheaper than if someone listed it for an 02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Good lord.  I have a few of those buried in boxes spread all over the county- I should clean 'em up and make big bux!

More helpful q- is there any interest in that shape made out of black nylon?  It would take a while to do a profile

blade, but once done, they'd not be too hard to crank out in small quantities...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The Ghibli find was assuredly an accident...It'd be the only part of an old Maser that I could afford...I thought it was pretty funny. And thanks Jim in Denver, I promise not to flip the one you sent me yesterday, its a beaut. There is something wonderful about the insulating quality of the rubber, and the faux whatever-it-is texture that's a fond forty-year-old memory...not sure what nylon would be like...probably pretty nice. I've got an old  square of ebony (wood) that I was considering copying the shape of the original..be nice with a satin nickel roundel...hmmm...Thanks for posting Steve...

Dave V.

I'm not certain I'm buying that "assuredly an accident" explanation, Dave, but I'll leave it alone. ;-)

I will admit that a couple years ago I was browsing the Maserati 3500 listings pretty closely before I concluded I can afford '02s and not 3500s!

Best regards,

Steve

Maser used Kfish pumps on some of the 6 cylinder sedans, I seem to remember, too...

t

And ZF transmissions. I looked to see if they might have used Getrags in Maseratis, as a way of explaining the gear shift knob. But perhaps (likely?) Getrag and ZF -- both obviously German -- used the same size screw-on-style gear shift lever.

Regards,

Steve

Weird.  My tii came with one of the stock shift lever knobs.  It spins and spins and spins so I replaced it with a leather covered knob sourced from BavAuto.  I HATED the feel of that stock knob. I still have it somewhere.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"