• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel stupid asking this but I have had so many conflicting reports now that it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually had hands on experience of this.....

I want to swap the rear subframe out on my 2002. Now I have heard that a E30 swaps in there ok, and then others tell me that it won't. Then I hear that the E21 is  a better choice and will swap in--then others tell me that it won't.

Has anyone actually done this swap and what is involved in it?  :unsure:

The only subframe that fits into the rear of a 2002 is a 2002 rear subframe.

All others have to be extensively modified.  BMW changed the design with every model,

as the subframe really mates to the body work, and the bodywork is very different on each car.

This I know.

'swaps' will involve welders.

And there are few reasons to change, until you get to 250 ft/lbs of torque...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've done this task myself, on my 1976. Most subframe replacements are undertaken because the original part fails from corrosion, ordinarily at 150,000 miles or greater. The job is entirely straightforward, and can be done in well under a day. Air tools will be a great help. Depending on their condition, you may decide to consider replacing the trailing arms (and rear wheel bearings) while everything is apart. 

He never said which one he switched too. I'm guessing he is talking about swapping one 2002 sub frame for another. Yes easily doable in one afternoon and with tools most home mechanics might have in the garage. Swapping in a E21 or E30 sub frame, suspension and diff is not an amateur job. You need some serious fabrication skills and tools.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I will be shocked -- and very impressed -- if nuthatch transplanted an e21 or e30 subframe, into an '02, in a single day!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

no problem...either way.....

just interested to know (a) how hard this was to swap out and ( B) what was involved and © why did you do it?

I have heard so many naysayers--just interested to hear first hand.....

He never said which one he switched too. I'm guessing he is talking about swapping one 2002 sub frame for another. Yes easily doable in one afternoon and with tools most home mechanics might have in the garage. Swapping in a E21 or E30 sub frame, suspension and diff is not an amateur job. You need some serious fabrication skills and tools.

I will be shocked -- and very impressed -- if nuthatch transplanted an e21 or e30 subframe, into an '02, in a single day!

Good luck,

Steve

afternoon swaps are replacing a 2002 subframe with another 2002 subframe.  usually done to fix a rusted out one, or put one in that has been modified to make camber and toe adjustment possible.  

putting a non-2002 subframe in a car requires considerable fabrication.  not sure what you implied by "so many naysayers" .  what naysayers?

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

....putting a non-2002 subframe in a car requires considerable fabrication.  not sure what you implied by "so many naysayers" .  what naysayers?

We = naysayers

Nuthatch = current non-naysayer (but, I believe nuthatch just swapped '02 subframes, so he may or may not have a view on e21 or e30 swaps)

Steve

Just catching up on all this. Sorry that I wasn't clear in the prior post. Yes, my project involved simple removal of a failed 2002 subframe (it gave out at 167,000 miles, from corrosion) and replacement with an identical BMW part, brand new. I never considered trying to work with an E21 or E30 subframe. 

As Preyupy and mlytle have correctly remarked, the straight swap is relatively uncomplicated. For starters, see the quick summary of steps on page 179 of the Haynes manual. Happy to respond to further questions. 

AngryB,

Is there a particular reason why you wish to jettison the stock '02 subframe? There are mods that can be made to the stock subframe, whether they be (a.) simply swapping out the trailing arms for tii or even e21 trailing arms, or (b.) modifying the subframe for adjustable camber.

And if your answer is "just 'cause" or "why not?" that's okay, too, we've all been there before!

Regards,

Steve