• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"true barn" find.......

repoman

Year:: 1966

Make:: BMW

Model:: 1602

Price:: 3500

not mine....

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5152816031.html

1966 rare bmw 1602 - $3500 (Hockin)

This a true barn, owned since 1972. No longer have indoor storage must sell.

post-37126-0-20454200-1438752177_thumb.j

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

Very interesting! The VIN would quickly reveal whether '66 or not. Seats are not original, and the trim has largely been stripped, so the only "confirming" details I see in the miserable photos are the silver-bezeled instrument cluster, and the driver's outside mirror mounting holes (at the leading edge of the door), both of which were '66 and '67 features.

If it proves to be a bona fide '66, read Anders' excellent '66 bible and buy the car! And even if it's a '67, or you're not a buyer, read Anders' excellent '66 bible!

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

(Separate and apart, I'm not certain a "barn find" is supposed to be stripped of trim and covered in primer!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

That is indeed very interesting!
Would be cool to find out if this really is a true '66 with the early VIN 150XXXX, or a later VIN 151XXXX which started production in mid-November '66.
If anyone actually contacts the seller and manages to get a VIN out of him, I would be very interested to hear from you.  I'm always looking to add more VIN 150XXXX finds to the '66 Registry.
Anyone with more info feel free to contact me on email: andersbilidt (a) hotmail dot com

Thx!

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

That is indeed very interesting!

Would be cool to find out if this really is a true '66 with the early VIN 150XXXX, or a later VIN 151XXXX which started production in mid-November '66.

If anyone actually contacts the seller and manages to get a VIN out of him, I would be very interested to hear from you.  I'm always looking to add more VIN 150XXXX finds to the '66 Registry.

Anyone with more info feel free to contact me on email: andersbilidt (a) hotmail dot com

Thx!

Update:  The seller will call me tomorrow with the VIN#.  He stated that the car used to be burgundy (Malaga?), so I am not sure if it was original paint when he purchased it from the PO in Seattle.  Maybe it was granada.  He has had it in his barn for 15-18 years with too many other projects to do anything with the 1602.  It used to be his daily driver.  The only rust he mentioned was in the spare tire wheel well.  Some parts are in the trunk and inside the car, along with some spares (he mentioned a spare head for a 1600ti or 2002ti.  Car is located in Hockinson (?), WA, about 10 miles northeast of Vancouver.  More to come.......

Edited by repoman

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news... it's not a 66. The vin is 153xxx. I took a brief look at it today. The car is reasonably solid looking, from the limited survey I could perform out in the field. The rockers and quarters have some rust, possibly could be patched, possibly not. Couldn't get a look at the trunk or floors, the car is full of spare parts. The only loose part that was even mildly interesting was a badly beaten 10-slat kidney grille. Thought about offering something for it, but didn't want to insult the guy. He seemed pretty nice, plus it was the only complete kidney grille I saw. Didn't see any "ti" heads or even the beltline trim. The 3-piece dash was amazing though! Not a crack to be seen. It looked like the car has lived under a fir tree for several years. Lots of decaying fir needles in every nook and cranny. I bet it's totally rusted out under the needles. The weird speedometer looked trashed, and didn't have a lens. It has red shift points on it, so probably isn't a 66. Didn't see any 1966-specific features in or around the car. Sorry guys. I was hoping for an amazing treasure, but found a pretty clapped out, rusty parts car. The guy said he might build a track car out of it if he can't find a buyer. I'm kinda doubtful on both counts.  -Rojo

Thanks for the update, Rojo!

Obviously it's a bit disappointing that it wasn't a '66. But, hey, it's a 6V '67 and they're not exactly common! But it sounds more like a $1,000 car, as a rusty, incomplete '67.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)