• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which tool kit correct for 1972 ?

gary

AFAIK the tool kits on all 2002s contained the same tools:  double-ended screwdriver (grey plastic handle with a removable blade that has Philips on one end, flat blade on the other), spark plug wrench that's turned by the screwdriver, arc joint pliers and three double-ended open end wrenches.  Don't remember offhand the sizes, but I know there's a 17mm, 13mm, 10mm and 8mm.  Actually it may be just two (too lazy to go out to the garage and check!)  Everything is contained in a vinyl roll-up tool pouch--colors vary as I think they used up scraps of vinyl to make the pouches.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 years later...

Hi!  I was told that that this tool roll I have was from a 1971 so probably correct for a 1972.  Hope this helps as an example of what you are looking for to complete your car!!  The second bigger screwdriver is just an extra I have, not in the original set. And there is an arc joint pliers not pictured in the set also.  Nancy:)

tools 2002 004.JPG

tools 2002 005.JPG

tools 2002 006.JPG

• Like 4

Well these days my 74 seems to need a very large tool kit!

Didnt someone on here reproduce the wallet, I think Jaymic had it at one stage as well, minus the tools of course. I thought there was a pair of water pump pliers or just adjustable pliers as well...... memory fails me a lot these days?

I believe the original set is as shown on the Parts Manual page below (the long skinny rod was not included &, as Mike said, the screwdriver was used with the plug socket wrench). Many of the double-ended screwdrivers you see have slots in the handle, the original '02 ones didn't. Screwdrivers with slots are probably from the E21 & on.

For some reason, the pliers were named "water pump pliers".....no clue why.

18053229_BMWToolRollTools.thumb.jpg.0a9b760a06825411ec5499ee1be9bbc0.jpgDSCN5821sm.JPG.5c7f94eaf591e96dac6d18642bd6c9b6.JPG

Edited by 02Les
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

17 minutes ago, 02Les said:

For some reason, the pliers were named "water pump pliers".....no clue why.

A plier of that design was used to adjust the gland nut on water pumps (not the automotive type) back in the day.  The book writer must have been a plumber.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

...Many of the double-ended screwdrivers you see have slots in the handle, the original '02 ones didn't. Screwdrivers with slots are probably from the E21 & on.

DSCN5821sm.JPG.5c7f94eaf591e96dac6d18642bd6c9b6.JPG

+1

My ‘76 (VIN 2742541, April 23, 1976) was produced “late in the game” — after BMW engineers had learned that fuel injection was just a flash in the pan — and its original screwdriver handle is un-slotted. ?

But I must warn you: I gave that double-ended screwdriver a good bang with the heal of my hand — it looked like a hammer to me — and the double-ended shaft came out the (originally-closed) end of the handle and embedded itself in my hand. Another painful lesson in automotive repairs, fortunately forty years in the past... ?

The scar, which appears to be gone now, was the shape of a Phillips head screwdriver. I kid you not! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

19 minutes ago, Conserv said:

+1

My ‘76 (VIN 2742541, April 23, 1976) was produced “late in the game” — after BMW engineers had learned that fuel injection was just a flash in the pan — and its original screwdriver is un-slotted. ?

But I must warn you: I gave that double-ended screwdriver a good bang with the heal of my hand — it looked like a hammer to me — and the double-ended shaft came out the (originally-closed) end of the handle and embedded itself in my hand. Another painful lesson in automotive repairs, fortunately forty years in the past... ?

The scar, which appears to be gone now, was the shape of a Phillips head screwdriver. I kid you not! ?

Best regards,

Steve

We need pictures 

• Haha 1

There have been plenty of posts regarding factory-supplied tools, e.g., https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/59301-heyco-300-waterpump-pliers/  Somewhat akin to Conserve's experience, the water pump pliers are most useful for slipping and ultimately pinching a user's skin and drawing blood.  The parts catalog omitted inclusion of a tetanus shot, although maybe that was an aftermarket dealer option.?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Roland
  • Like 1