• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much primer?

readfrost

How much epoxy primer would use recommend using to spray just the body (no doors, hood, etc.) with a few coats? I've searched and found out some people use around 1 - 1.5 gallons to paint, I just don't know if that applies to epoxy primers as well. Rather have too much than too little, but I don't want to waste a lot of money either...

Hopefully someone can give you an answer specific to primer, but there's no way you'll need 1+ gallons of paint on a 2002. I think I used less than 1/2 gallon when I painted my car a few years ago. All the additives make a small amount of paint grow to a much bigger volume.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

As the epoxy is a sealer, not a build/coverage layer,

probably a bit over a half- gallon SPRAYABLE would do it, depending on the system.

Also depending on how good your gun is at material transfer.

Depending on what system you buy, a quart of primer may grow to 1 1/2 to 3 quarts sprayable-

the PPG stuff doubled, but then you thinned it a bit farther to use it as a sealer.

My spidey sense says that I would have used just a little over a quart of DP40 to

seal a shell well enough for storage and bodywork, but it's been a loooooonnnnnnggggg time....

Don't shoot more than the disaster sheet recommends- it really is just a sealer/ binder/base layer,

it is very tough, and it does not want or need to be any thicker.  It may misbehave if it is.

Likewise, pay close attention to recoat time- you really don't want to shoot wet epoxy over

partially cured epoxy, and once it's cured, you have to mechanically scuff it for anything

to be able to bind to it.

Finally, if you have any hangers (drips) make sure you deal with them as recommended.  They will

continue to shrink for months and months, and may 'pattern through' the top layer if you don't

get them thinned down.  This is true of any primer.  Ask me how I know about this one...

After all this, it turns out that epoxy primer is also pretty stable in the can, so if you overbuy,

it'll keep, and if you underbuy, you can always go back for more.  It's not like color coats...

hth

objects in the mirror may be backwards

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks all for the comments. Good to know that I don't need to get more than two quarts of the stuff. I think I'll go the PPG DP40 route, and end up with just over 1/2 gallon after its mixed. I guess I was hearing 1+ gallons from spraying multiple layers of color on a car.

One more question, mostly for esty and Toby, how many passes do you think will seal it properly. The car is going to be in this primer for over a year I figure. Will one or two do?

i do 2 passes but let the 1st flash, not dry before spraying the 2nd coat...if the 1st dries before spraying a 2nd coat you'll have to scuff the epoxy...same goes for applying the 2k urethane primer over the epoxy...if the epoxy has dried you'll need to scuff it before coving with urethane

you doing the artwork yourself...?

I have a friend who is going to shoot the primer, but I figured I'd research it all before hand just incase we have any questions. It should all be fine, but I'd rather not let the shell start to rust over while we look up a question we had.

Yeah, I'd second the 2 coats- I seem to remember with DP that it's got an 8 hour window to recoat, but that you

can recoat within about 45 minutes- which really means, you do the inside, wait 45 minutes, reshoot the inside,

then do the same on the outside.

If you shoot too soon, the primer thinks it's all one coat and starts to slide.  If you wait too long, the second

coat attacks the first, and it's really ugly.

And yes, agreed as well, if it's just for protection, you can use almost any epoxy.  By the time you get back to it, it'll be hard

as rocks, you'll rescuff it (where you haven't done bodywork) and it'll be completely inert.

One caveat- it's not UV resistant, so it can't be in direct sunlight, or it breaks down in something like 3 months.

How badly, I don't know, because I've never recoated it after.  I did the insides of some wheels with it, and

forgot to overcoat them with something else.  Eventually, they got chalky on the insides.  I didn't care enough to redo it...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL